Author Topic: Loaner amp...  (Read 8414 times)

bearjew

Re: Loaner amp...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I actually completely ignored the existence of Class D amps until this conversation.  I'm convinced that I should give one a try, but I won't be convinced to own one until I actually hear it.  If anyone has one and wants to demo it with a pair of Carver Line Sources in early May, let me know.

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
Don't forget the best thing about solid state vs tube: reliability. Tube amps are gumpy, they have to warm up, they have limited life, they can pick up microphonics, they don't like dynamic impedance loads, and on top they're more expensive from the get-go. If one of your $400 crown amp blows up, you can replace it with another $400 crown amp. If your $1500 tube amp blows up, it might be a tube, it may be an OPT, it may be an internal component, you have to drag it to a tech, wait a couple of weeks, drag it back, and all the while its life is counting down.

This isn't to say I don't like tube amps, I love the sound, but in my situation a tube amp isn't a realistic option. I've got a tube pre-amp which I use sometimes however, and adore.

bearjew

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Don't forget the best thing about solid state vs tube: reliability. Tube amps are gumpy, they have to warm up, they have limited life, they can pick up microphonics, they don't like dynamic impedance loads, and on top they're more expensive from the get-go. If one of your $400 crown amp blows up, you can replace it with another $400 crown amp. If your $1500 tube amp blows up, it might be a tube, it may be an OPT, it may be an internal component, you have to drag it to a tech, wait a couple of weeks, drag it back, and all the while its life is counting down.

This isn't to say I don't like tube amps, I love the sound, but in my situation a tube amp isn't a realistic option. I've got a tube pre-amp which I use sometimes however, and adore.

Yeah, I'm kind of straying away from tube as well.  As much as I enjoy it, I'm not in a situation where I can deal with the maintenance.  Hell, I'm not in a situation where I should even have those speakers...  sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I suppose.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 12:30:03 AM »
@OBG, The Teac I bought on Feb 22, 1972 was not my first reel to reel deck. I had two before that starting about 1968. The Teac was the first one worth keeping.

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
Would like to hear StephenWVU's comments on his recent experience with the Devialet 200 - an absurdly expensive integrated amp($9K) with class D amps.  He is about to sell it but he had good things to say about it too. 

Regards

OBG

So would I, i'm very interested in knowing what he does not like about his Devialet 200.
I am a very happy Devialet 400 owner since I sold my set of Silver Seven Tube amps last September.
I find them to be fast, detailed, slightly warm and the tightest Bass going. If you feed them a not so good recording, boy you will know it.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
StephenWVU has had several systems in a row with very good,  expansive sound fields - even going back to when he had the Martin Logan + C19 + Carver 305 setup.  The mix (including cables - he invested a lot in that) created a sense of depth and imaging that was to be respected.  Same with the Vac system he had for a while thereafter. The Devialet lacks as deep a soundstage as the VAC did, but net of that he is happy with it. I have not listened to it as he now lives too far away,  but he has described it like this over email (I am sure he concurs with you as far as what is does well). It will be up for sale soon I hear.

OBG

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »
Hi everyone!

My impressions of the Devialet are much what you might expect.  I loved how SILENT the unit is, the simplicity of use is great because even my wife had not troubles with it, and it does throw a very wide soundstage. I would describe the DAC as almost completely transparent. Even the phono outperformed many others I have had in the past, which is impressive because it goes through an ADC and back through its DAC. The issues I have had with it and the reasons I am selling it are because the soundstage and the inability to properly EQ the towers. With the VAC equipment I could shut my eyes and really believe the stage was 35 feet back with no indication that I was in my listening room. The Devialet throws the soundstage back around 15 feet (around 5 feet behind the speakers).  Some people prefer this forward soundstage.  I do not. My Pipedream 18 speakers utilize an external crossover. The lows on the towers themselves are equalized a bit and without separate amplifiers I cannot achieve the perfect equalization I would want.  I did try the Devialet with a pair of Sonus Faber speakers and utilized the SAM technology and I was impressed.. I still didn't get the deep soundstage I want, but that could have been a lot of other conditions causing that.

Hope this helps! The unit is already posted for sale.  If anyone is interested, PM me.  It probably isn't fair to compare a 9.5k MSRP piece to a 60k MSRP combo.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-devialet-d200-mint-condition-2016-04-09-integrateds-30263-raymond-ga

Best regards,
Stephen
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

bearjew

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
Would like to hear StephenWVU's comments on his recent experience with the Devialet 200 - an absurdly expensive integrated amp($9K) with class D amps.  He is about to sell it but he had good things to say about it too. 

Regards

OBG

So would I, i'm very interested in knowing what he does not like about his Devialet 200.
I am a very happy Devialet 400 owner since I sold my set of Silver Seven Tube amps last September.
I find them to be fast, detailed, slightly warm and the tightest Bass going. If you feed them a not so good recording, boy you will know it.

Brian

YOU SOLD THE SILVER SEVENS?!?

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »

BJ

Yep I did, I needed a change, so I went with a Devialet D400 (mono block) and I personally think they are great
even the sound stage.
Mike Beam picked them up, as fare as I know he is real happy with them.

I also got rid of my B&W 802D and last month I purchased a brand new set of B&W 803D3, they list for $20K here in Canada.
Missed you at Carverfest, I just booked my flight today for CF16, you should think about showing up.

Brian
Takatsuki 300B tubes
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

bearjew

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »

BJ

Yep I did, I needed a change, so I went with a Devialet D400 (mono block) and I personally think they are great
even the sound stage.
Mike Beam picked them up, as fare as I know he is real happy with them.

I also got rid of my B&W 802D and last month I purchased a brand new set of B&W 803D3, they list for $20K here in Canada.
Missed you at Carverfest, I just booked my flight today for CF16, you should think about showing up.

Brian

I'm glad Skeams got them; able to keep the amps in the family.  How do you like the 803's?  They're beautiful speakers.  Vast improvement over the 802?

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
The sound stage is good on the Devialet, but not as good as my last setup. The comparison isn't really fare though. My last setup MSRP was around 60k.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »
There is no amp preamp DAC combination under 12k that I think would be better for non super efficient speakers.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:52:46 AM »
I'm glad Skeams got them; able to keep the amps in the family.  How do you like the 803's?  They're beautiful speakers.  Vast improvement over the 802?

BJ

I also am happy that Mike picked up the Silver Sevens, as you say keep them in the family.

I'm finding in every aspect the 803D3 are superior to my 802D. The mids (vocals) are so crisp and clear with tighter bass and room filling bass
imaging and depth have increased as well.
Now i'm using a smaller speaker, I do believe the 802D's where to big for my room.

Chow Brian
Takatsuki 300B tubes
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
I concur....the soundstage from all of all my tube gear did/does beat the Crown.  Much wider. Much deeper. More realistic. But I still prefer my crown and it's strengths over the wider soundstage.