Author Topic: Phase Linear 400 Refurbishing Project  (Read 11263 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Phase Linear 400 Refurbishing Project
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
If you're talking about the 5 amp fuse in the odd size I have some I bought off eBay if that helps

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 09:46:37 PM »
A fuse holder and 34 painfully small caps later, the PL400 control board is done, and surprisingly, the amp still sounds great.   There is no consistency to the polarity of electrolytics on this board,   so you really have to follow the schematics or easier yet the PC board diagram,  which I am attaching below for reference in case anyone wants to do this recap job in the future:

PL400 Control Board
PC Board Layout:
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.33.55 PM by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Schematic:
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.34.07 PM by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Parts List:
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.34.26 PM by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

After recapping:
Untitled by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Still works, sounding pretty good,  will test in the main system on the weekend, a tubes vs. old solid state comparo:

Still need to install the relay - that will be tomorrow:

Then start work on the Phase Linear 2000 (which I hope will not need a full recapping):

Will keep you posted, thanks for looking.

OBG

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »
If you're talking about the 5 amp fuse in the odd size I have some I bought off eBay if that helps

Thanks PBJ!  Ended up putting a regular-size fuse holder - which required some Dremel action - thanks for the offer though!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
Thanks for posting your progress and photos. There is just something special about these amps...the birth of high power!!! The 400 was the first high $ amp I ever heard and that Sound and vision have followed me my entire life!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »
OBG, nice photos. Not sure what's wrong with mine. I forgot it was on as all the meter lights are dead. While it was on I disconnected the interconnects to it from the preamp. Something got damaged as the 5 amp fuse blew right away. Obviously I'm hoping it's nothing major. BJ had already recapped it and put all new connectors on it. I was so pissed when I found it used AGX fuses. I had to order them on eBay. I think I paid about $6 for 5 of them

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
Ok - will take a look at it when BJ brings it (and the reel to reel)  over next Monday,  while my understanding of the innards is still fresh.  Take care,  Pepe