Author Topic: New headphones  (Read 2438 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
New headphones
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »
I reluctantly bought a pair of headphones today. I really don't like anything over my ears, they get hot and it irritates me. Earbuds are intolerable. However, when my wife travels and I have to work my mother sleeps over to watch the kid. When I get home late at night and need to unwind I need headphones, otherwise I wake her up.

So we went to Best Buy today and I tried on a pair of Sennheiser 558's. Nice soft cloth. Knowing I could return them within 15 days, I figured I'd give them a shot. Other than a pair of Etymotic Research earbuds I bought years ago when I had a desk job, I never spent much of anything on a set. Those ERs were murder for comfort. The 558s sound pretty good to my amateur can ears, but the comfort is very good. Going to give the. A couple hours and see if they're keepers.

Offline MacGeek

Re: New headphones
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
If you don't like them, I suggest giving a pair of basic Grados a try. I have been very pleased with my SR 60s, for under $80
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »
If you don't like them, I suggest giving a pair of basic Grados a try. I have been very pleased with my SR 60s, for under $80

The Sennheisers were $112 out the door on sale, $80 is a lot better. Maybe I should order a pair of Grados from Amazon to compare. I hate being such a pansy about how they contact my head, but that pleather/plastic stuff on most headphones is just a showstopper, just like riding naked on black leather seats in the summer time. Is the foam on the Grados comfortable? Do they "breathe" well or trap in heat?

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »
I know nothing about headphones but, Music Hall De Be headphones are on clearance right now for $50 (msrp $200).  Might want to look at those.  ebay and part connexion
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »

I've said it before, I've had my SR-60s longer than I've had my wife and I feel no need to part with either one.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:06:29 PM »

The Sennheisers were $112 out the door on sale, $80 is a lot better. Maybe I should order a pair of Grados from Amazon to compare. I hate being such a pansy about how they contact my head, but that pleather/plastic stuff on most headphones is just a showstopper, just like riding naked on black leather seats in the summer time. Is the foam on the Grados comfortable? Do they "breathe" well or trap in heat?

I use Sennheiser foam on my Grados.   I find it more comfortable, plus it makes the cans Steelers colors, "Burgh approved!

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:09:46 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »
I'll look into the Music Halls.

STaL I hoped you owned the Grados. It's tough to judge when people say, "they sound great". I borrowed your Heresys awhile back and their sound, while many love them, they were not what my ears like. That's not a knock on fans of them or of the speakers, I feel lucky to have tried them and figured out they weren't for me. Add that with some reviews on the Grados and I draw a similarity, they're top end/treble that's comes at you. I had the same experience with Grados carts with 8mz stylus and the AT150MLX. I've learned I like the more laid back sound of Shure, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, etc. Natural to brown. So would you say the Grados are more like Klipwch sound or can they be more laid back?

Tested the Sennheisers with digital files through DAC and they didn't fatigue me. Going to try some vinyl now.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:39 AM »
I don't like on the ear headphones. I must have around the ear with velour pads. I have Sennheiser HD650 open back and Beyerdynamic DT770-PRO-250-Ohm closed back. Both are ultra comfy and sound awesome powered by my Valhalla tube headphone amp.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
I'll look into the Music Halls.

STaL I hoped you owned the Grados. It's tough to judge when people say, "they sound great". I borrowed your Heresys awhile back and their sound, while many love them, they were not what my ears like. That's not a knock on fans of them or of the speakers, I feel lucky to have tried them and figured out they weren't for me. Add that with some reviews on the Grados and I draw a similarity, they're top end/treble that's comes at you. I had the same experience with Grados carts with 8mz stylus and the AT150MLX. I've learned I like the more laid back sound of Shure, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, etc. Natural to brown. So would you say the Grados are more like Klipwch sound or can they be more laid back?

Tested the Sennheisers with digital files through DAC and they didn't fatigue me. Going to try some vinyl now.

In some ways the voicing is similar.   They have the detail and crispness of a 150MLX, but nobody would accuse them of lacking bass like the Hereseys.   You are welcome to borrow them if you need an extended test drive.   If you are looking for a mid heavy signature, you might try some AKGs.   

That new record shop that Northern Audio opened up has a headphone room.   You might go there and try several pairs and see what speaks to you.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »
Try these   http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/5771602215.html

Ha! I'll save the $12 and use my daughter's wireless Batman cans!

My wife reminded me I have the headphones that can with the Scarlett 2i2. Tried those and they sound horrible.

I tried the 558s in every possible headphone jack in the computer setup where I'll be using them. For digital they're fine through the DAC. For vinyl, not so good. Directly into Kenwood 7300 sounds best, but they tend to muddy up the louder I go. I'm going to try a couple spare receivers to see if it gets better or if that's just a signature of the headphones. Maybe vinyl on headphones just isn't a good idea.

I might try the new shop if I can sneak out while my daughter is at school.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that speakers are very dependent on the room, where headphones aren't.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »

I'm going to try a couple spare receivers to see if it gets better or if that's just a signature of the headphones.

You know you have a problem when the you can say "I'm going to try a couple of spare receivers..."   :o

:)

I like these Sonys from the Best Buy collection:   

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

Also - I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x I can loan you if you want to try - they also do a good job in that price range.  I would stay away from planar magnetic cans,  because once you are addicted it is hard to go back. 

OBG