Author Topic: Multi phono selector  (Read 2252 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Multi phono selector
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:42:51 AM »
What is a good option for selecting between two turntables feeding in to the MM phono input on my Carver C-5 pre-amp? One TT will be set up to accept a variety of MI/MM cartridges mounted on headshells and the other tt will have a MC cartridges fed into a SUT.  Amazingly I'm still having phono issues though. Eventuality I may just give up on vinyl and let my boys have my records.
Thx

Offline MacGeek

Re: Multi phono selector
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
One, simple way is to use an A/B switch as long as any extra cable length doesn't negatively affect things
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
AB switch is exactly what I have in mind but which one would be suitable for the low voltage of phono cartridges and suitably shielded.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
I have had good luck with Niles gear for similar purposes.  The AXP 1 might be best, but is no longer produced.  Either of the following will get the job done, but are a bit of over kill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Niles-Audio-VSA-1-Direct-Video-Stereo-Audio-Patching-System-/361586655120?hash=item54303e7f90:g:iUgAAOSwepJXVuSt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Niles-TSB-3-source-swithcing-system-/291837211756?hash=item43f2da746c:g:tm0AAOSwIgNXo1sv
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
I have several Russound Tape deck switch boxes but not sure if they are good for low voltage phono signals

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »
What is a good option for selecting between two turntables feeding in to the MM phono input on my Carver C-5 pre-amp? One TT will be set up to accept a variety of MI/MM cartridges mounted on headshells and the other tt will have a MC cartridges fed into a SUT.  Amazingly I'm still having phono issues though. Eventuality I may just give up on vinyl and let my boys have my records.
Thx

Wouldn't you be able to put this into an aux input?

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
No. An SUT brings a MC coil up to MM voltage.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 11:21:23 PM »
I'm going to assume you're not interested in adding a preamp for one of the two tables, is that correct?

I have no clue how a dj mixer works, could that be an option? Not sure how they affect sound quality.

Here's a DIY thread on two turntables one preamp. Maybe someone here is willing?
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=26863

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:28:30 PM »
No. An SUT brings a MC coil up to MM voltage.

Brad, STAL is correct as I use an SUT to bring the voltage up to a level where I use the Aux input.  You have heard it!
Carl

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »
He's not correct about common passive SUT including mine.  They are designed to give appropriate gain and RIAA EQ curve to feed a MM phono input on the preamp/amp/receiver.

Quote from Vinyl Engine:

MC (moving coil) cartridge, it’s more complicated. The characteristics you should take care of for this kind of cartridge to be correctly exploited by your system are:

The output level, measured in millivolts
The internal impedance, measured in ohms
The load impedance, measured in ohms too
In this paper, we’ll ignore high output MC cartridges that can be used with a MM input and concentrate on MC cartridges with an output of less than 1 mV. (The output level of MM cartridges is between 2.5 and 7 mV).

The job of a step-up transformer is to raise the output of the MC cartridge in order for that output to be correctly handled by a MM phono section. At the same time, the step-up transformer adapts the impedance of the signal produced by the MC cartridge to an impedance that can be “read” by your MM input. You must understand that step-ups all have different characteristics that we’re about to explore. These characteristics are such that if you select a step-up and a MC cartridge at random, your probability of obtaining a happy marriage is close to zero.

So please, don't make a definitive judgment of a step-up or a MC cartridge. Before saying “this step-up is pure BS” or ”this cartridge is pure BS”, check the compatibility of your MC / step-up combo. Most of the time, if the sound isn't good it’s because of a compatibility problem.

So, you need to amplify the signal output from a MC cartridge? In fact, you use can two different kind of devices to do that job:

active devices : head amplifier of MC section on a phono section

passive devices : step-up

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
So you already have the SUT?   I assumed you needed to get one.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
I do have the SUT already. I have an Audio Technica AT630 which came as a set with an Audio Technica AT30E MC cartridge and an Audio Technica LS12 headshell. The SUT and cartridge are a good for each other. I'm not using it right now as it's too big a pain to connect and disconnect the SUT when switching back and forth between MI/MM and MC cartridges. That's the reason for setting up two turntables.

bearjew

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
Eventuality I may just give up on vinyl and let my boys have my records.

I support this decision fully.  And... dibs.  Max can have what I don't like.