Author Topic: Kinda bummed...  (Read 5093 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Kinda bummed...
« on: October 22, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
  :(

I though I was finally going to make it into the 21st century regarding TV's...

FedEx just delivered my 48" Sony LED TV & I  was unpacking it I noticed a "little wave" in the bottom left corner...  Well, it was crushed/smashed there...  :(

You would think it was FedEx, but the box it came in was in good shape, otherwise I would have never accepted the package...

Anyway, now I need to start with the hassle of who's at fault & returning the TV...

Not the way I was planning to start the weekend...

Guess I'll just watch my 31" JVC crt TV...  ;)

Thanks for reading...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Kinda bummed...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »
That's a drag, George.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Not knowing who your vendor is, I wonder if it will be a return/replace, or a warranty claim.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
Sorry to hear that George (even sorrier to hear you are living with 1995 video tech!).  This stuff happens - not worth worrying too much about it.  Make sure you let the vendor know you will express your displeasure in social media if they refuse to make you whole, that usually helps persuade them to do the right thing. ::)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »
Update...  For anyone who is interested...

The return process went fairly smoothly, sent the damaged tv back, but have not received credit yet...  Probably take a week or two...

Early this week at work, a boss whom I don't work for, asked if I could help him with tv/ cable / soundbar issues...  Since I like to help I said sure...  He mentioned he had a 50" led tv that stopped working and that I could have it...  Well, after some research, and tweaks, I have a working 50" led tv!  It is not a Sony or better name brand, but it DOES work!  :)

Thanks for reading...
George

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
Very nice... seems like you ended up on top of that entire situation!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
Nice.

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »

Early this week at work, a boss whom I don't work for, asked if I could help him with tv/ cable / soundbar issues...  Since I like to help I said sure...  He mentioned he had a 50" led tv that stopped working and that I could have it...  Well, after some research, and tweaks, I have a working 50" led tv!  It is not a Sony or better name brand, but it DOES work!  :)

Thanks for reading...
George

George

Thats perfect!

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 10:03:06 PM »
Good work!

I had to open ours open replace the power board. For as simple as they are it's amazing people toss them.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
So how do you know what needs to be fixed/replaced?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
Thanks for all the " reads " and comments...  Nice to get support from "the hifi family!"

MacGeek, I just did some Google research on the TV and read a comment /tweak that worked!  Was fortunate!

Thanks again for your thoughts...
George

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »
Nice,

I recently bought my first TV too.  49" LG LED 1080p Smart TV from Best Buy for $350.00 -- very nice!  TV's seem to be coming way down in price.  Since I rarely watch, and dont have cable or anything, a 4K tv was not worth it.  ENJOY

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »
Nice,

I recently bought my first TV too.  49" LG LED 1080p Smart TV from Best Buy for $350.00 -- very nice!  TV's seem to be coming way down in price.  Since I rarely watch, and dont have cable or anything, a 4K tv was not worth it.  ENJOY
Yes they are!!! LOL!!! My 50 inch Panasonic Plasma ran around $3600 back when 42 inchers were big! Buy a better one today for $600, but it's still working with no issues and has a great picture.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »
when I bought my first plasma in 2000, a 50" commercial-oriented Pioneer PDP-502MX (airport display type) I think I paid $7000 (and that was the internet price,  it was more expensive through normal channels, and I think that number included an expensive articulated mount), including a special board to connect it to RGB,  which was the popular way of connecting TVs back then (I remember I ran a DVI cable from the wall to the closet, thinking I was being smart, and downplaying rumors that HDMI would become the standard).  So the  fact that we can get amazingly good TVs (that run circles around those old Pioneers any way you look at it) today for $350 is testament to how far the technology has come!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
About 10 hrs ago a freak rain storm and flood totaled a car in the garage. We took the check and bought a 57" for $1600. It's still going after four bulb changes which could likely have paid for another two TVs. 

I also recall going into Circuit City when they first got plasma TVs. $15k for a 42". Yikes.