Author Topic: New to site  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Blownrx7

• FNG !!!
New to site
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
Hello,
I just joined and like the vibe here.
I'm in my mid- fifties as I suspect a lot of people are here. Been into audio and music since high school when I built my first Heathkit - a stereo receiver (with those scratchy slider controls). My oblivious brother tossed it when he was cleaning out my parents house for them 8-(.
I've assembled a modest collection of seven 70's/early 80's receivers (25-60 watters) and few integrateds as well - all Craigslist finds for minimal investment.
Love listening to the stuff!
I also have a modern setup that costs a stupid amount of money. Yes, I've entered the abyss....
Music usually runs to the head-banger type with some classical thrown in for balance as well as the occasional Nat King Cole or Johnny Cash (nobody who knows me would ever imagine that!...). Sorry, but unlike a lot of audiophiles, I do NOT like much jazz.
As far as other interests, I call myself a frustrated runner. I used to race a lot but injuries have forced me to take up biking as my main physical activity (I rode up Mt Washington this year). Runing is my secret weapon for being a good bicyclist.
Since I've taken up bicycling, I've no time for my seriously modded 85 RX7 or motorcycling (my other 2 wheel passion). So no motorcycle anymore...:-(
Thanks for reading!

OldiesButGoodies

Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Be interested to know what vintage pieces you have collected over time as well as what your modern setup consists of.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
Welcome.

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
Not going to be in my mid-fifties for another 30 years (if I make it  >:D), but we all have a taste for nice vintage equipment here, and a lot of the guys here have fantastic systems from craigslist (or even garbage pickup).

I don't even like driving up Mt Washington,  so more power to you for getting up it the hard way.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
Welcome and feel free to share your Craig's list finds and any good music you discover.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of good people here. FYI I'm 62. If you've noticed my forum nickname, I'm BearJew's father.

Offline Blownrx7

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 07:13:03 PM »
Thanks guys :)
My receiver collection includes a Kenwood KR-6600, an SAE-R102, an HK-560, a Technics SA-303, a Philips 7951, a Sansui 5050
and a Yamaha CR-420. My integrateds include a Sony TA-2650 and a Sansui AU-5900. I have a Pioneer C90 preamp that is the newest of my vintage stuff that I  got from a coworker. I also have a Phase Linear PL-8000 II turntable that is still in my main system (along with a Teres diy table). I still have my first pair of high end speakers - Dahlquist DQ-10's. I refoamed them about 15 year ago (hmm I wonder if they will be needing it again soon). I also completely rebuilt the crossovers with modern caps and resistors - keepers for life!
My brother also threw out my very first pair of speakers - KLH 6's. Obviously, he has no appreciation for fine equipment!

Offline Blownrx7

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
I should add that the Dahlquists crossovers included new inductors. Between the big caps and inductors, I had to put spread the parts across two separate boards for each speaker.
For the PL-8000II , I recapped it and replaced the power line with a shielded internal cable and an iec connector. I also damped the entire chassis with dynamat. It made a good turntable great.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »
(or even garbage pickup).

Yep.   My daily driver Marantz 2230 was picked up off the side of the road in Sq Hill.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 05:52:59 AM »
Welcome! Post some photos of your gear.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
Welcome aboard.

I've got a KR-6600 as well. My dad bought it new in '77 I believe. It's been rescued off the garbage pile in the 90's, sat in 2 1/2' of flood water in 2006 and is currently in my garage setup. It just won't die. Someday I plan to rebuild it.

I don't know much about rotary engines, but the concept always intrigued me. Cars were always a big interest, but time/money limits me. Always wanted to rescue an International Scout and get it back to glory. Love to see some pics/info on the RX7.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »
Also want to extend a welcome.  Lots of good company and info here.

I am a retired runner (after microfracture surgery about five years back.)  Now I just row, lift a little and crank the music.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers