Author Topic: WiFi signal booster?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
WiFi signal booster?
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
My WiFi is presently the transmitter that is built in to the Xfiniti box.   Bear with me, I don't know much about this subject.   Gina sometimes streams music in her room, but the signal is weak there and she sometimes gets too little signal to stream at all.   We got her a TV and Chromecast for Christmas this year.   However, I am afraid that if she struggles with music streaming then HD video certainly won't work.   What can I buy, add-on, replace or whatever to remedy the situation?   FWIW, if needed I can run Ethernet from the modem to the room under her room if I need to.   Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
Re: WiFi signal booster?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:33:18 AM »
Before buying anything, I'd try to change the channel on the wifi and double check the other settings. Sometimes a channel change gets you away from an offending signal around the house. That is, if you can on that box. A quick Google search should tell you how.

If that doesn't work or can't be changed, I would add a wifi router. We have fios and I ran an ethernet cable to the first floor and use a wifi router up there. It covers most of the yard and out to the street.

bearjew

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
Any legitimate wifi extender is fairly expensive.  Don't know how savvy you are with this kind of tech, but a lot of people use cheap/old routers and install DD-WRT firmware on them and turn them into extenders.  Google around a little bit and you'll find tutorials and such that would solve this problem for you.  Most people don't like the hassle, but I enjoy the challenge.  Wife didn't like the router sitting on her nightstand though :P

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
My WiFi is presently the transmitter that is built in to the Xfiniti box.   Bear with me, I don't know much about this subject.   Gina sometimes streams music in her room, but the signal is weak there and she sometimes gets too little signal to stream at all.   We got her a TV and Chromecast for Christmas this year.   However, I am afraid that if she struggles with music streaming then HD video certainly won't work.   What can I buy, add-on, replace or whatever to remedy the situation?   FWIW, if needed I can run Ethernet from the modem to the room under her room if I need to.   Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

That is what I have too.  Run and ethernet cable to her room and connect a second router in "bridge" mode to give her a separate hot spot.  I may have a spare router (you probably do as well) - just need to set that second router to bridge mode so the xfinity router does not fight with the second router as to which one will be serving out ip addresses.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:14:52 PM »
Running an ethernet cable into the other room is fine, but not up to her room on the second floor.   Whatever solution I end up with will "live" in the dining room (directly under her room).

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:38:25 AM »
Would an Apple Airport work as a relatively cheap 'extender'?
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
So I got a $10 range extender at GW.   Netgear WN3000RP.   It seems to do what it says, but in installing it, I also installed Netgear WiFi analytics app on my phone.   Running the app showed me that there is plenty of signal in her room and she has no need for the range extender.   The only computer that is lacking signal at all is Jerome's, and it runs fine.   I should know by now that Gina just likes to complain about stuff.   I might keep the extender for surfing on the back deck though.   It's super easy to set up and does seem to make an improvement when you are far away.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
I should know by now that Gina just likes to complain about stuff. 

>:D  those crazy kids...