Author Topic: Baby Carver Amp Driving VMPS RM40  (Read 8966 times)

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Baby Carver Amp Driving VMPS RM40
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
Ray as you may or may not know I left Carverfest 14 with 2 Lucas Labs linestage Preamps . That with the 4- 40 watt monoblocks is the making of 2 great systems. At CF14 I had only the 1 fest amp with the Dahlquist DQ10's and the 2 DQ1 subs the Bobfather came by the cabin while I was in Bryson City and commented to Markie that my setup was the best he had heard at that years fest.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
I have one, bought it off of Tom.  Mine came with upgraded binding posts, and just two russian 6ax7's (6n2p) - no output tubes so I spurged and put in four NOS Seimens E84L's, it just rules.  Very quiet, sweet, and powerful for its specs.

Used it exclusively for about 1.5 years with Klipsch Forte II's and Van L transmission line speakers.  Also experimented with it with two different preamps.  An Audio Research SP-6 that yielded a slightly softer and more holographic tone, and with a Carver C-1 that seemed to help tighten up the bass and make it "faster".  Right now I have mine in a display case, I pull it out and hook it up every couple of months and eventually plan on getting some nice bookshelf speakers of appropriate efficiency and pairing it with the CF amp for bedroom system.   I cant remember the serial # at the moment but I want to say it was in the #60's for some reason.

Dig yours out and have a listen if you haven't for a while!

bmwr75

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
I'd like to hear a head to head comparison of this Carver baby amp and my Pilot SA-232.  While being about the same size as the Carver, I bet it out weighs it by a factor of 5-10X.  Be interesting to see if weight really does matter in Hi-Fi.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »

Funny, because I have been wanting to hear the Pilot.  Saw a completely refurbished one for sale very close to my house but I didnt have the spare cash at the time and it sold.  Maybe its the one you have, from millvale?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 09:51:14 AM »
scotty is in the Atlanta area,  doubt  that is the same Pilot  O0

bmwr75

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
I live in NE MS now.  Lived in Irwin, PA until about 2 years ago.

Picked up one of the baby Carver amps at Tom's shop one time.  Was surprised at how little it weighed for a tube amp.