Author Topic: Mitsubishi 57" DLP TV - FREE  (Read 2159 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Mitsubishi 57" DLP TV - FREE
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Model WD-y57.Bought new in '06. Like others who upgrade their TV I'd like to just be rid of this TV.

If I recall the bulb was replaced about 2 years ago, we averaged about 3yrs/bulb. Bulbs range $25-300 (generic to NOS originals).

There are a couple light scratches on the screen in the upper right corner, which to this day I have no idea how they happened, I think "I don't know" did it. Noticeable when it's off, hard to find when the TV is on.

2 HDMI inputs along with S video, competent, composite, DVI.

It's big but only weighs 55 lbs or so. I can deliver...if I do deliver it, I'm NOT taking it back home!!!

I'll post pics if someone is interested.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Mitsubishi 57" DLP TV - FREE
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
I don't know much about DLP.   Is it a glass screen or a soft plastic one?   Is it wall mountable?   Thanks!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
DLP uses a color wheel to project the image onto the screen. It's a satin-y low gloss screen. The whole tv is about 16" deep, then allow for connections. I'd think on a properly hung shelf that is deep enough it could be wall hung, but not like the flat panels.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
I am not familiar with this model , but know some DLP TVs display a great picture.  They were the hot technology just before the Plasma and LCD flat panels arrived.  Sexy then, compared to the bulky rear projectors of the day.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
That won't work with my son, but GLWTGive-away.

bmwr75

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
You have it priced right cause that is exactly what I got for my 2000 vintage 65" hi-def Mitsubishi rear projection. :-)

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »
I am not familiar with this model , but know some DLP TVs display a great picture.  They were the hot technology just before the Plasma and LCD flat panels arrived.  Sexy then, compared to the bulky rear projectors of the day.

We had a 3rd car in our garage and had a freak flash flood. Car was totaled. We used the check to buy the tv. At the time we wanted a 42" and when we saw this one on sale for the price of a Sony 42" that didn't look as good we bought it. I don't recall a whole lot about the technology back then, it was either DLP or plasma. It's been an adventure, one bulb blew during the Pens 09 Cup run. Another a week before the last Steelers Super Bowl.

You still looking for a tv?

You have it priced right cause that is exactly what I got for my 2000 vintage 65" hi-def Mitsubishi rear projection. :-)

I see them for sale here and there and just shake my head.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »

You still looking for a tv?

I bought a 40" Plasma for $100 off Craigslist, but if I found a 48-56" Plasma for a reasonable price I sure wouldn't mind moving up a size or two.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Gone.

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
I had that same TV. I bought it at Circuit city before they went belly up. IT had a nice picture when it got a surge from lightning it cost me 500 to get it fixed since circuit city was down the tubes by then. It acted up 2 more times with ventilation issues which I fixed myself . The 3rd time it left the house in pieces.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
I had that same TV. I bought it at Circuit city before they went belly up. IT had a nice picture when it got a surge from lightning it cost me 500 to get it fixed since circuit city was down the tubes by then. It acted up 2 more times with ventilation issues which I fixed myself . The 3rd time it left the house in pieces.

We got it a Circuit City as well. I vaguely remember having Mitsubishi repair something related to heat build up which blew the original bulb. That was under warranty a couple months after we got it. The bulbs were definitely frustrating and the tv threw off a ton of heat out of the left side.