Author Topic: Nakamichi 480 cassette deck  (Read 1874 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
Nakamichi 480 cassette deck
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »
During my house cleaning I came across this deck, nice shape 6/10, silver face and solid build.  I have no tapes to check out function but all buttons seemed to work.  Needs new bulbs behind meters.  $50 or it will sold on ebay.  If it doesn't work, I will take less.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Nakamichi 480 cassette deck
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
The 480 is an outstanding 2 head machine, better than most 3 head decks (except maybe other Naks).  Dual capstan, classic Nak transport.  It makes and records great tapes.  I owned one for many years in the 1980s.  GLWTS
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
The 480 is an outstanding 2 head machine, better than most 3 head decks (except maybe other Naks).  Dual capstan, classic Nak transport.  It makes and records great tapes.  I owned one for many years in the 1980s.  GLWTS

Agree with Klaus ^^^

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »
Pepe,
Did you ever get the kinks worked out in the 480z I gave you?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Yes,  then donated it to someone else in this forum, though at the moment I do not recall who exactly;  I have donated something  like 5 cassette decks in the last year and it is a blur to who - otherwise the basement will look like stacks of decks (I only keep the 3 headed monsters  :P)

I think it is a very decent deck,  like MacG stated,  with the old heavy duty transport, pre-Sanyo (though the Sanyo is easier to rebelt,  the older one is less noisy on w & flutter, IMO.

Pepe

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
Nakamichi never used Sanyo transports. They used Sankyo transports. I'm glad someone is getting use out of the 489z I gave you. I had put over $100 into it.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
Hi PBJ....

Yes, missed a k there in the brand name: Sankyo. But the point is,  the Sankyo transports are small and plasticky,  of a much lower pedigree than the previous ones.

Apologies if you meant for me to keep it forever or return it,  I understood that you were not using and it had issues  :-\ so I could take it and do what I wanted with it.  Surprised you put over $100 into a Nak 480 - Oouch!  I have another one if you want one back,  just have not checked it to see what is up with it.  Yours had a bad Dolby chip, so I extricated one from a parts unit to get recording recording working ok. I also had to adjust the teleflex cable that switches between record an playback mode (that part is notorious for needing work after a couple of decades). 

Pepe

Whenever I have a deck I am not using I try to promote  the cassette hobby by passing it to someone with none.

Nakamichi never used Sanyo transports. They used Sankyo transports. I'm glad someone is getting use out of the 489z I gave you. I had put over $100 into it.