Author Topic: Pittsburgh Jazz Channel  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Pittsburgh Jazz Channel
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:56 AM »
Do you guys know about this?   When DUQ went to the news format, they offered a generic jazz streaming service and HD Radio station.   I know that pbj and some others got home HD Radio tuners so they could listen.   

For about a year now (though I just found out about it tonight) there has been a terrestrial AM radio station WZUM AM 1550.   They are in process of buying 101.1 FM.   These are both nice, but what excites me is the AAC+ stream.   They offer a regular MP3 stream, but I installed VLC on my Android and the sound is really pretty good.   Not only does it blow away the AM nroadcast, I think it sounds better than DUQ's stream or their HD broadcast.

Even better for geezers like pbj and myself, they have some of the on air talent from the old DUQ.   Tony Mowod and Chuck Leavens both have daily shows on there, and Bill Hillgrove hosts a Saturday program.   I think this is really worth checking out and I am amazed it took me a year to find out about it.   

http://www.wzum.org/listen-live-1

bearjew

Re: Pittsburgh Jazz Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
What a shame that DUQ got the ax.  That's what happens when the university president is famous for incompetence.

Online MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
STaL-It may have taken you a year to find out, but I didn't know about it until your post.  Since I am often technologically challenged, do you know if the download to an iphone/ipad is the same?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
STaL-It may have taken you a year to find out, but I didn't know about it until your post.  Since I am often technologically challenged, do you know if the download to an iphone/ipad is the same?

If iTunes doesn't (just click the stream to find out), there is a version of VLC for Apple.   Probably free.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
I thought those guys bought 88.1 FM which I think was Bethany College in WV.?  Terrible reception for that station even down here in Canonsburg.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
Yes, they did, but they are also very close to buying 101.1 which will have (they claim) a much better signal.   It's the AAC+ stream that I'm excited about.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
Klaus -

click on the link I texted to your iphone and it should play right away....

or click here:

http://war.str3am.com:7600/listen.pls

agree w stal, quality is decent,   aac > mp3

Online MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »
Pepe-I did and it did.  Thanks.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
I've been reading about it for quite a while now but didn't know you could stream it already. Is it commercial free like WESA HD-2? I like their programming a lot. I also like the two WQED HD stations. Especially HD-2 which is all PSO.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
Commercial free, but lots of very short pledge breaks.   But that might go away if Pepe coughs up what they still need for the FCC license.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
Commercial free, but lots of very short pledge breaks.   But that might go away if Pepe coughs up what they still need for the FCC license.

I am the mexi-jew,   there's a crab living in my wallet that bites me every time I try to get money out.  Otherwise I would be totally out of control buying the real esoteric stuff!   >:D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:43:29 AM by OldiesButGoodies »