Author Topic: Nakamichi ZX-7 right channel issue  (Read 1892 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Nakamichi ZX-7 right channel issue
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
I started using the cassette deck a little to play some rhythm guitar backing tracks and noticed the right channel playing low.  Dug out the manual to figure out all the adjustments on the deck.when I have the test tone playing, I have been unable to get right channel up to same as left channel level. Cleaned head once but maybe need to revisit that.    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Nakamichi ZX-7 right channel issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Does it exhibit the channel imbalance when playing tapes made previously, or only with stuff you are recording now (need to determine if it's in the record or playback signal path)?

Simple stuff not requiring test gear or soldering: try reversing the output leads and check to see if the problem follows the change; check the output volume control and tape monitor switch on the deck-they might be dirty.  I assume you have checked the cables and receiver or preamp inputs (try different ones).  It might also be a dirty tape monitor switch on the pre/receiver.

This is all simple and maybe insulting stuff (no insults intended), but I can't tell you how often I have missed the obvious and torn into things to find a simple cable or switch problem.  I assume you have tried recording on more than one tape
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Nakamichi ZX-7 right channel issue
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »
First thing is clean the heads ten more times using denatured alcohol. It's easy to do and a common cause of reduced volume on tape decks. After that you move on to other possible issues.