Author Topic: Newbie in the Burgh  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Newbie in the Burgh
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Hello everyone!

I tried to find local audiophile’s society since my family and me have moved to Pittsburgh couple years ago.  Finally, I found this forum.
I’ve been the music lover and audio addictive since my childhood. Unfortunately, the Soviet Union was not the best place for any activity like this.
Now, I’m happy owner of some vintage components like Scott 340B tube receiver loaded to Wharfedale W70d for CD and stream listening and relative modern components like Focal W-cones floor standing speakers driven by TOTL Denon SS amplifier and Sony direct drive turntable.
I’m interested in finding new friends and share some of listening experience. Moreover, I have a dream to get an impression for the real  full-range speakers like Audio Nirvana or so because I remember  the charming sound of wooden radio  from last century. The sound of iconic tube amplifiers like McIntosh or/and Marantz is a next target.

Vince

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Newbie in the Burgh
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »
Greetings Vince!

Welcome to the forum!  Those are very nice components that you have.  You will find a lot of friendly people here who love the sound of vintage equipment.  Turntables and tubes are very popular among the forum members.  Streaming from various digital sources is also popular.  What kind of vinyl do you like to spin?  Rock, jazz, blues, classical?

Welcome!
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:01:05 PM »
Hi Vince and welcome to the forum.  This is a good group.  we meet a couple of times a year for a swap meet and hopefully will be able to do so again this year.  What part of town is home for you?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum,  plenty of audio-addicted people of all walks in life in here,  glad you joined!  Look forward to meeting you in person some time... Post pics of your setup!

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
Welcome Vince!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
Welcome Vince

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
Hey Vince! Welcome! What was the audio scene in the good ole USSR???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »
Welcome Vince

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!
…  Streaming from various digital sources is also popular.  What kind of vinyl do you like to spin?  Rock, jazz, blues, classical?
Almost everything, for the LPs I prefer jazz and old-timers like Sinatra

Hi Vince and welcome to the forum.  This is a good group.  we meet a couple of times a year for a swap meet and hopefully will be able to do so again this year.  What part of town is home for you?
South Hills
Welcome to the forum,  plenty of audio-addicted people of all walks in life in here,  glad you joined!  Look forward to meeting you in person some time... Post pics of your setup!
Definitely
Hey Vince! Welcome! What was the audio scene in the good ole USSR???
I love your question. 1st, there was not real choice for audio shopping in USSR. Most of the audio adherents might play with poor engineered copy of Linn amplifier and “Soviet JBL” speaker Radiotehnika S-90. Short threat on AG https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/radiotehnika-s90-a-and-now-what
2nd, LPs produced by American or Europe company were virtually unavailable. For example, cost of western LP was about 1/3rd of monthly salary for the engineer. Quality of Soviet LPs was inacceptable at all.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »

I love your question. 1st, there was not real choice for audio shopping in USSR. Most of the audio adherents might play with poor engineered copy of Linn amplifier and “Soviet JBL” speaker Radiotehnika S-90. Short threat on AG https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/radiotehnika-s90-a-and-now-what
2nd, LPs produced by American or Europe company were virtually unavailable. For example, cost of western LP was about 1/3rd of monthly salary for the engineer. Quality of Soviet LPs was inacceptable at all.
[/quote]
Thank you - very interesting.  Is it fair to say that russian tubes in general are of a higher quality than most of what you  find on the western side of things?

OBG

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »

Thank you - very interesting.  Is it fair to say that russian tubes in general are of a higher quality than most of what you  find on the western side of things?

OBG
I had some experience with russian's 6L6 family clone - 6P3S (6П3С originally). It's definitely worse that any cheap RCA/GE 6L6 in terms of sound quality/signature. BUT, some direct heating tubes like GM70 or 6s33s is a different story.. I had homebrewed amp based on 6s19p tubes with custom OPT that kills some of high-priced consumer's tube amplifiers.