Author Topic: Acoustic treatments?  (Read 4143 times)

bmwr75

Re: Acoustic treatments?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »

Theater looks great Scott - and now I can understand how the two-channel speakers are setup relative to the others.  I experienced similar benefits after treating the cave,  also noticed that I could increased the volume higher w/o distortion (probably because the excess bass energy was not able to cause as much noise).   

OBG

Thanks Pepe.  I've got to redo the Audyssey calibration on the HT set up.  Also want to see how the KLF-20s sound for music now that the bass reflections have been tamed.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »
What are the things that look kind of like computer mice in the last picture?

bmwr75

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »
What are the things that look kind of like computer mice in the last picture?

Sony PS3 controllers on a charger.  I need to move them to somewhere else.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
I didn't know if they were some esoteric piece of audio gear with which I was unfamiliar.

bmwr75

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
The only time the PS3 gets turned on is when my step-son comes to visit.

bmwr75

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
I EQed the bass today using my AudioSmile modded Behringer DEQ2496. It has an internal pink noise generator. Used RTA in AudioTools on an iPad with a calibrated MiniDSP microphone. Only lowered the 1/3 octave bands below 250 Hz to get pretty much a flat response with the midrange octaves. Then put on some music that had bass lines with which I was familiar. It sounded like the bass had nearly disappeared!! So, I reduced the EQ cuts by about 1/2 and replayed the same tunes. Much better this time.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
I EQed the bass today using my AudioSmile modded Behringer DEQ2496. It has an internal pink noise generator. Used RTA in AudioTools on an iPad with a calibrated MiniDSP microphone. Only lowered the 1/3 octave bands below 250 Hz to get pretty much a flat response with the midrange octaves. Then put on some music that had bass lines with which I was familiar. It sounded like the bass had nearly disappeared!! So, I reduced the EQ cuts by about 1/2 and replayed the same tunes. Much better this time.

I experience that often as well.  I use Audio Tools as a starting point and then make tweaks by ear.  The curve you get if you go for flat is boring,  especially to my old ears,  so I always add a curve bumping up the bass a bit (relative to Audio Tools).

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
Remember, each octave down requires twice the power to achieve the same amplitude.   You have to use a weighted baseline rather than a flat one.