Author Topic: Turntables/SUT  (Read 1926 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Turntables/SUT
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »
I recently got a Denon DP45-F turntable off Tom. It had the original Denon DL-60 cartridge on it. Though it sounded ok the stylus has seen better days, plus I wanted to install my Grado Gold1 on it anyway. Guess what, Grado hum. Shit I can't win. I installed my Audio Technica AT30E MC cartridge to try it out on this turntable. Out of curiosity I first tried it without the SUT and surprisingly it's not bad. I figured the volume would be way down but it's only reduced by a little bit. What gives? I have it fed into a Gold Aero DB45 Signature (BJ's) then into an aux input on my Carver C-5 pre-amp. I have no owner's manual on the DB45 so not sure it's set up right. I have it set up with none of the four auxiliary resister plugs. Should I take the time to install my SUT? Help!
Also, anybody have a clue as to where to but headshells for it? I bought a few off eBay and they were no good.
Sometimes I think of dumping all my turntables, records, tape decks and tapes and going all digital. My brother went that route and now I see why.

Signed,
Frustrated

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Turntables/SUT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
What makes the headshells "no good"?   What is their issue?   I've never used a cart that required a SUT, so I'm no help there.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »
Does your SUT have the RIAA equalization curve built in?  You can't run a TT/ cartridge into AUX input using just a SUT, it will sound way pretty bad.... sorry if I missed something, was a quick read, so not sure if I read it as thoroughly as I should.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
What makes the headshells "no good"?   What is their issue?   I've never used a cart that required a SUT, so I'm no help there.

The headshells I bought have poor quality plugs and it's a bit too short to achieve proper alignment. An SUT is used on moving coil cartridges.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Does your SUT have the RIAA equalization curve built in?  You can't run a TT/ cartridge into AUX input using just a SUT, it will sound way pretty bad.... sorry if I missed something, was a quick read, so not sure if I read it as thoroughly as I should.

Hi Jim,
What you missed is that I'm first running the turntable into a Gold Aero DB45 Signature phono preamp.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »

The headshells I bought have poor quality plugs and it's a bit too short to achieve proper alignment. An SUT is used on moving coil cartridges.

I know what a SUT is, I just don't have practical experience with one.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
ahhhhh   thanks for the clarification. Had a recent "discussion" over just that/ this issue, on one of the Face Book forums..... people were insistent that you could run a tt straight into an AUX input by using a SUT.... idiots lol
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...