Author Topic: Audioquest cables  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Audioquest cables
« on: June 10, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
Any opinion on these?   I stopped at a yard sale and it was a guy who did a storage locker clean out.   Not an audiophile but a music fan.   He told me he "kept a pair of B&W speakers because they sound better than the ones he got at Best Buy".   Anyway, I took a couple dozen records (the only "oh wow" one is a copy of "Otis Redding - Dictionary of Soul".   A few MOFIs and Nautilus things.   I took all of his Laserdiscs basically because he asked me to (but there are a few music ones that I'll enjoy once then pass along).   But the real score was four NIB Audioquest cables.   

1M pair of King Cobras
3M Sub-1
3M Sub-X
1M VSD 1

I'll probably flip one of the sub cables and that alone will pay for the whole day.   Anyway, does anyone here use these?   Any opinions?   I've never had the budget for "boutique" cables, but with them falling in my lap like this, why not?   BTW, the King Cobras have arrows on them.   How do the electrons know which way they are supposed to flow?

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
Re: Audioquest cables
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
I use King Cobras for my main connections.  I fell into a pile of AudioQuest cables -KCs and Black Mambas- at a price I couldn't say no to, though, from what you're saying, likely more than what you paid.  Cabling isn't something I give much thought to, but I thought they did sound better than the cables I used at the time, rather doubt they'll ever be replaced unless another spectacular deal falls in my lap. 

The directional stuff sounds silly, but I installed as directed and have never felt the urge to dick around with them again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:04:21 PM by RuralTom »
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »
Any opinion on these?   I stopped at a yard sale and it was a guy who did a storage locker clean out.   Not an audiophile but a music fan.   He told me he "kept a pair of B&W speakers because they sound better than the ones he got at Best Buy".   Anyway, I took a couple dozen records (the only "oh wow" one is a copy of "Otis Redding - Dictionary of Soul".   A few MOFIs and Nautilus things.   I took all of his Laserdiscs basically because he asked me to (but there are a few music ones that I'll enjoy once then pass along).   But the real score was four NIB Audioquest cables.   

1M pair of King Cobras
3M Sub-1
3M Sub-X
1M VSD 1

I'll probably flip one of the sub cables and that alone will pay for the whole day.   Anyway, does anyone here use these?   Any opinions?   I've never had the budget for "boutique" cables, but with them falling in my lap like this, why not?   BTW, the King Cobras have arrows on them.   How do the electrons know which way they are supposed to flow?

They look cool - you should keep em just for the aesthetics. The directionality comes from which end they earth the braided shield at (but is mostly 99.99% BS, IMO)

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
at a price I couldn't say no to, though, from what you're saying, likely more than what you paid. 
I paid $2 each.   I wish they'd had a dozen.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »

The directionality comes from which end they earth the braided shield at (but is mostly 99.99% BS, IMO)

OBG

Good info, thanks.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
at a price I couldn't say no to, though, from what you're saying, likely more than what you paid. 
I paid $2 each.   I wish they'd had a dozen.

Very good deal indeed!  IIRC I paid $20 a set for four sets.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Excellent deal STAL!  Those are nice cables.  The price that you paid was a no brainer. 
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »
SUPER SNAG!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »

3M Sub-1

I would be interested in the Sub-1, but I live in Canada.
send me a price with shipping to  Ottawa, K1B 4L2

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

3M Sub-1

Brian

USPS calculator gave me $15.50 to that zip, so I would say $75 USD.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »

3M Sub-1

Brian
Brian...look at Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-class-subwoofer-cable-plugs/dp/B000F1Z8EC/ref=sr_1_1/144-1004134-9621814?ie=UTF8&qid=1497193532&sr=8-1&keywords=audioquest+sub+1
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
If they ship free to Canada that is a great deal.   Like I said, I was adding in $15.50 shipping.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
Actually I'm still a couple bucks cheaper.   My point is that I was trying to give him a deal at $60.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
give me a call please
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
Actually I'm still a couple bucks cheaper.   My point is that I was trying to give him a deal at $60.

Thanks, but I think I will bow out at that rate.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)