Author Topic: AT OC9/III moving coil cart  (Read 4601 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
AT OC9/III moving coil cart
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
Just a week old and my E 20 hours on it. I'll add more as it breaks in, or doesn't.

I heard this cart at a friends house and was sold. I've heard the 440 and had a 150MLX. The stylus broke on the 150. Didn't care for the sound of either. For me, too bright. Others love it. The OC9 has a big full sound top to bottom. Lots of depth and very fluid and easy to listen to. The first thing that struck me when I heard it was the separation, if the recording is good, this spreads it out very well.

I haven't listened to many different things, same few songs over and over and over dialing it in. That and learning a new pre. After throwing more random stuff at it, I'll add more.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: AT OC9/III moving coil cart
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »
Always hard to judge when you switch cart and pre at the same time.   Once you get this to a happy place, try the 440 again with this pre.   Maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
Always hard to judge when you switch cart and pre at the same time.   Once you get this to a happy place, try the 440 again with this pre.   Maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise.

True on the new cart and pre at same time. Since I didn't have a MC pre, there was no a avoiding it.

As for going back to a 440 or even the 150, it would honestly be going backwards. I've switched back and forth with my Shure 95 with SAS stylus and it's a measurable step backwards. That's not a knock on those carts, so far the OC9 is just that much better.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
I didn't mean as a permanent move, I just meant to see how much of it is the cart and how much is the pre.   You know, to experiment.

BTW, if you end up looking to get rid of the 440 in the fall, keep me in mind.   Can't spend the money now.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
I think I'm breaking through the break in point, instruments are spreading out wider now with the expected airy-ness. I did have the cart installed on a Technics 1600, it's now on a 1400MKII which has VTA which I found was a required adjustment for this cart. I've been playing a lot of spacious type music - Gold Dust Woman, Riders on the Storm, Warren Haynes w/Railroad Earth, LZ III. The space around instruments and voices invites you into the soundstage.

Hopefully more of an update in another week or so.