Author Topic: new record shop @ Northern Audio  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
new record shop @ Northern Audio
« on: August 13, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
Yesterday had my first opportunity to stop at Music to my Ear. Owned by Northern Audio. Seems like a very nice shop, staffed by nice folks, but a little on the expensive side. Used vinyl is all few dollars more than Jerry's, and sought after albums were priced with Discogs ... no bargains to be had at MTME. Their MoFi / audiophile selection is pretty extensive but also a bit higher than what can be found online.

I was surprised however that they had piles and piles of LPs stacked horizontally, both behind the counter and down a hallway....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: new record shop @ Northern Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
That pretty much mirrors my impression.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
Is the ownership of Northern Audio (Mark Mawhinney?) related to the previous owner of Record-Rama, Paul Mawhinney?

Not that it really makes a difference, but I was told Paul was the owner. If that's all wrong, that's how crazy myths get started.

I stopped at the store once. Lots of cool stuff, but I felt the records were a bit pricey. However, if you absolutely need a Mofi new release right away, they have them.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
His son.   He also runs the Spin-Clean thing now.   The dad gave those rights to the son when he sold Record Rama.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
He (Mark) also has a nice audio shop upstairs (above the record store).  Two channel, tubes, analog and digital as well as home theater.  I think it's mostly by appointment only, but if you are in the record store, someone may take you upstairs.  There are a few demo rooms set up-Harbeths, Golden Ear and a bunch of electronics I don't recall.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »
Way back before the vinyl shop, when he was focused on installations, I asked if I could hear a pair of speakers.   He told me he was too busy.   :(