General Banter > The Circular File

Amusing CL Replies - Post Yours

(1/3) > >>

MATT0404:
I sell audio gear on CL from time to time (Okay, that might be a bit of an understatement) and usually have pretty good luck.  Items range from low to high dollar, vintage to new, common to collectible, etc.  I usually end up connecting with other audiophiles who share a similar passion for music and the gear that we use to reproduce it.  I value those connections and it's part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.  Other times, I end up chatting with people who have zero understanding of our passion and just like to send their ramblings.  I found this response to my ad for a pair of Intuitive Design Gamma Summit speakers particularly amusing.  A screenshot of my ad is attached for reference.  The speakers have since sold.

--- Quote ---you have money no doubt, selling for 75% less than msrp and raving about the system all along...you on the crack pipe or what ?.....come on, its stolen from a nice cabin deep in the mountains ?
so its a smart system huh, granite speakers, too smart ide say... even for a serious audio geek.
this response is only to give you; the wealthy guy, a chuckle at how fkn ridiculous the whole damn idea is to create such a moronic system out of granite weighing many hundreds of elbows... yeah, we're all impressed.
here, really intrige your friends by YOUR creative wit, make a urinal and bathroom vanity out of it instead of throwing $7500 out with the bath water.
"hey everyone check out jerrys frickin cool bathroom"
sounds way better in more ways than one !
good luck
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/6290790560.html

Sent from my iPhone
--- End quote ---

I look forward to the coming replies to the interconnects I listed today.  :laugh:

So, what stories do you have of your CL encounters?

geoffr:
What an assclown.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I've never gotten a good one like that.    :'(

MATT0404:
My reply to him was that if the speakers were only made of porcelain instead of granite, I'd put one in each of my guest house bathrooms. :laugh:  I then invited him over for a beer and music...he didn't respond.  And just for the record, I'm not a wealthy man as he implies.  I'm a husband and father of two young children with a modest home (certainly no guest house) and a passion for audio.  Fortunate?  Yes.  Wealthy?  No.

scorpio333:
Haven't had anything crazier than, "I can get it for less at" emails. If I reply I'll usually send them a permission slip to purchase it from the other place at a cheaper price.

A few years ago our hot tub shorted out due to a leak. It welded the lugs together on the board and I wasn't paying for another board. The tub was here when we bought the house and it was a pain. Knowing how many hot tubs get listed in the free section, I knew it would sit for weeks if not longer. Out came the sawzall and I chopped it into 1' pieces. Piled it all up, took pics and listed it. The ad easily got more responses than any other I've posted. Most were LOL responses. A few wanted me to call them ASAP. I replied to each that I couldn't get to the phone right away, but call me in a bit. I gave each of them one of the other numbers. I doubt they called each other, but it did amuse my mind for a few minutes thinking how that might have played out. Then it happened, a profanity filled 'you so dumb' email. The poor sap used an email address with his real name in it. Quick google search found the guy on a family owned construction company bio page, complete with email and general family info. I responded with "you think your wife, Denise, would be proud that you're trolling ads on craigslist?" and he went nuts wondering how I knew who he was. It went back and forth a couple times, then the ad got flagged and I quit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version