Author Topic: Any good Black Friday deals on TV's or HT speaker systems?  (Read 5880 times)

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
Any good Black Friday deals on TV's or HT speaker systems?
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
rowedscholar: So has anyone seen any good "Black Friday" sales advertised for a really good deal on a large screen tv that I will hook up to some yet to be purchased surround sound that I plan to drive with a Denon avr  4000?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Any good Black Friday deals on TV's or HT speaker systems?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
Is that 4000 the one that was just on CL?   That was a fabulous deal.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
What size range are you looking at? Smart functions or just a "monitor"?

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
Yes it was Craigslist buy. I also picked up a Denon avr 3600 for my camp on craigslist.

I mostly want to watch DVD's so I guess a monitor mostly. Not so much into the smart functions but then again, I don't know if I want them if I don't know anything about what they really add. I guess I should do some homework. Any rep's on what smart functions you can't live without?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
We went with a non smart 70". Smart just adds wifi, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'd rather have a device that does that stuff- Apple TV, Blu ray player, Roku, etc. That technology changes too quick to have it in a tv. Easier to buy a $100-200 device than need to update a much more exspensive tv. Just my preference. That said, if the new tv had it and it didn't add cost, so be it.

Best Buy has their Black Friday deals on their website. They also show open box I box inventory, they do like moving that stuff and are sometimes open to offers.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
Depending on your provider and subscribed channels, some smart TVs also eliminate the need to rent a box from the cable company.   That can save you some bucks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
I don't know how big you are looking to go for speakers, but I have a quad of Mini Advents, two of which have wall mounting brackets.   I'm sure I could come up with a center and a small sub as well.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Thanks for the info on the smart options. I guess I knew thats what they were, but thought there might be something else I was missing. I agree that I wouldn't pay extra for them as most of what I will be doing in watching blu-ray. I don't watch a lot of cable and only have a basic package, so no premium HBO and such. As the audio component of the video is not my primary source of audio listening Im really just looking for something to introduce me to surround sound and that can take advantage of what the avr can do. The advents might be a good way to go as I already have a sound bar and sub woofer package (vizio) thats a few years old that I can use with it. I think a 70 inch with the smart features sounds about right as I already have apple tv for netflix etc

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
The advents might be a good way to go as I already have a sound bar and sub woofer package (vizio) thats a few years old that I can use with it.

How does a hundred bucks for the four of them sound?   If you can't get your soundbar to play nice with the system as a center, I'm sure I can come up with a decent cheap center channel speaker as well.   The sub should be fine unless it has proprietary cabling so it only works with the soundbar.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:29:23 AM »
Sounds like a deal. Are the speakers recent enough that wall mounts for the two without mounts might still be available? And what are you thinking about center and subwoofer? I use the vizio in my bedroom so I could easily just leave that be and get something I know will work.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
I have a Polk or Infinity center in a box somewhere.   I only have a couple small cheap subs at the moment.   It would be a stop gap measure at best.   The Advents have screw holes on the back for the bracket, so you would need something that you can match to the existing spacing.   I haven't looked into it.   I'm assuming the two brackets probably have nearly as much value as two of the speakers.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »
I have a nice HSU subwoofer that I can use when I'm utilizing the home theater but the speaker bar might be useful. Maybe arrange pickup over the weekend sometime?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
Sounds great.   Let's conclude via PM.