Author Topic: Blown up my left tuner channel  (Read 2259 times)

Offline ewzwart@gmail.com

• FNG !!!
Blown up my left tuner channel
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:40:44 PM »
Hi,
Yesterday I bougth a pair of Heco SK60 speaker for 20 Euro's when I tried teh first one we are suprised by teh sound of it, but when I connect the second one only the tweeter plays for a little while when I try to raise the volume everything become quit even the left channel of my second pair of speakers (Martin paersons I).
Now the complete left channel of my Tuner (Akai AA1020)  is dead. When I am opening the speaker I see a woofer and a tweeter and between the + poles of them there is some kind of electronical component wth the next text on it. 23-70 degrees and 5 / 35 and also something thet starts with  gia.... ore something.
Can anyone tell me what kind of component this is and can this be the cause of blowing up my left tuner channel?
I tried to shoot some pictures of it.

Greetings,
Engel.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Blown up my left tuner channel
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »
That is a capacitor, but it is a polar one, which I wouldn't expect to see in a crossover except for the first one I ever recapped before I knew they had to be non-polar to pass sound.   If you put that in there (or the previous owner before you) it would certainly be the reason your tweeter wouldn't work in that cabinet.   How about a pic of the one in the working cabinet?   Then we can recommend a suitable replacement and you can do both at once.

What part of the world are you in?

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
With two pairs of speakers and your receiver all with a non-working channel, I am concerned there may be other problems.  I suggest some trouble shooting before trying to replace parts.

First, disconnect all speakers.  Then take one that worked (possibly the right channel from the Martin pair) and try only it on one speaker output at a time.  The goal is to confirm that the receiver is working correctly and not the source of your trouble.

If the receiver works correctly on all speaker outputs, then try each speaker, one at a time on any output.  Obviously, any that don't work or sound wrong need attention.

If any of the receiver channels don't work, check for fuses and replace any that are blown.  Do the speakers have fuses?  If so check them as well.

If none of this works, follow Thrifty's approach.

Good luck
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
All good advice, but a polar cap still won't pass sound.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
All good advice, but a polar cap still won't pass sound.

Well,  it WILL pass sound,  it just won't handle the reversal of charge well,  so you will get degraded sound and/or exploding caps (with enough power).  So,  get a  bipolar cap.  Or wire two polar caps to get a bipolar one.