Author Topic: Ferrofluid leak repair.  (Read 8225 times)

SunnyDaze

Ferrofluid leak repair.
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
As gravity and electromagnetism don't particularly jive, metallic objects that are caught in a magnetic field tend to feel the effects of gravity, too. Over time, the tweeters in the Paradigm 9seMk3's apparently leak. In the case of the ones I purchased used, it seemed to be a gradual thing. The bottom section of one tweeter was visibly soaked in ferrofluid.

I called Paradigm because I'd rather replace than repair. They said "They're just shot. How old are they? Just buy new speakers." They also claimed to have replacement diaphragms that they won't sell. Bummer. I understand their point of view. It was a mid-range product two decades ago. Why keep anything around for them now? Oh well.

I took the unit out of the cabinet and carefully removed the magnet and diaphragm assemblies from the front housing. I then lifted the diaphragm free to reveal that it a small amount of ferrofluid was leaking out of the unit, and had accumulated between the diaphragm and the magnet assembly. I then carefully used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the fluid off of the magnet.

Now what to do about the diaphragm? I took the same approach, only with minimal pressure and extreme caution. I put a small amount of alcohol on a q tip and began to rub the silk dome with alcohol. I did this front and back probably a total of a dozen times. Then i repeated the process with water. I blotted it dry very slowly and carefully with q tips. I was also careful to remove minimal ferrofluid from the coil portion of the diaphragm.

Assembly is the opposite of disassembly.

I reinstalled the tweeter, and did an A/B mono comparison using only the high frequency channel. I couldn't tell a difference beforehand in the two, and I still can't. Now the tweeter diaphragm is sans ferrofluid contamination. Mission accomplished.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:23:55 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Ferrofluid leak repair.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »
I called Paradigm because I'd rather replace than repair. They said "They're just shot. How old are they? Just buy new speakers." They also claimed to have replacement diaphragms that they won't sell. Bummer. I understand their point of view. It was a mid-range product two decades ago. Why keep anything around for them now? Oh well.

That's a shitty attitude.

Polk Audio still sells tweeters and drivers for their 20+ year old speakers. In fact, they redesigned the replacement tweeters making them better than the originals.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »
We don't need no stinkin' ferrofluid!!

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
My mids have ferrofluid.  I've seen posts on other forums like Audio Karma with suggestions on replacing or addressing a leak.  Looking on epay, I see several paradigm replacement tweeters, maybe you can find one there.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
Look for a mod using better tweeters. keep the stock ones around if you dish them. Screw the ferrofluid. I have always had excellent customer service from Polk and Definitive Technology. That kind of response leans me away from Para Digm products.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
Let me clear this up: I didn't drain the fluid. I simply cleaned the small amount that had leaked out off of the tweeter diaphragm.

The guy from Paradigm wasn't rude, but he wasn't overly accommodating either. Vague is a good word to use.

None of the Paradigm tweeters on eBay will suffice. I know they're made by Vifa, but I can't seem to find replacements online. I'm going to call Paradigm back tomorrow and see if I can order the replacement diaphragms only. I'd rather not go with an "upgrade" as I seem to prefer the sound of silk over metallic.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
I called Paradigm again today. I got a different representative, thus creating an entirely new ball game.

"Yes. We have the replacement units available for the tweeters on the 9 series Mark 3's. The diaphragms are $30 each."

"And you can just ship them to me?"

"Yes sir. This is a user serviceable part."

"I want to of 'em Utah - TWO OF 'EM."

So I ordered a pair of new diaphragms for my 9se's, as Brother Loomsie would say  it, "Yost like that". No hassle. I don't know what the deal was with the guy that I spoke to yesterday. Even their attitudes were night and day. What a difference a day makes.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:09:03 AM by SunnyDaze »

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:37:05 AM »
Amazing!
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."