Author Topic: McIntosh MQ EQ on XR-16 speakers  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
McIntosh MQ EQ on XR-16 speakers
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure this won't help any current members. I'm posting it for Google questioners.

I was recently told by another Mac speaker fan that I wouldn't get the full affect of my XR16 speakers without a Mac MQ Environmental EQ. I emailed Roger Russell (the man who designed the speakers) and this is how it went:

Q: I own a pair of XR-16 speakers and they sound great to me, but recently another Mac speaker fan recommended I use one of the Environmental EQs to get the full affect of these speakers. I read on your site that the XR14 was the last that needed the eq, so is putting one on my xr16s something you would recommend?
Thanks,
Ed

A: Ed:

The XR14 woofer was designed intentionally to match the MQ equalizers and will have deficient bass without it. The XR16 woofer does not require the equalizer. If the equalizer is used with it, the upper bass will be too strong relative to the rest of the range.

Roger
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Re: McIntosh MQ EQ on XR-16 speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
Ed

Do you have the schematic or cap values for your XR-16 the xovers?

Ron

Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »
Hear hear. In Roger I trust.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Ron, yes.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline tube_dan

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
Nice!