Author Topic: Preamp tube experiments  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
Preamp tube experiments
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
I am currently using the stock Sovtek 6922 tubes (6 in total) in my SF Line 1 preamp.  I have heard that changing the tubes can have a significant impact on sound quality and characteristics.  Tom has mentioned that he has a lot of tubes in stock, but I was curious as to whether tube brands have specific sonic characteristics, e.g. Sovtek vs Siemens vs Amperex.  Any suggestions, experiences, or comments are welcomed.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Preamp tube experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
Try them all!!! ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
As Bob would say..." Why don't we try it???"
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
I would love to randomly try tubes, but they can run from pretty cheap ($15 each) to quite expensive (telefunken tubes are $140 each).  Before I shell out that kind of money I would like to know what sonic characteristics a particular brand might impart.  The Sovtek tubes are very neutral and do not add any of the lushness that tubes are known for.  The preamp is incredibly quiet and sounds more solid state than tube.  This isn't bad, I just want to explore some other options.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
6922 = 6DJ8 right?  If yes, I got some Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s I'll make you a deal on.  Send me a private message if you are interested.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:13:18 AM »
Brendan usually gives a pretty good description of a certain tube's flavor.

https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline angelod307

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:22 AM »
just curious, i have a sfl-1 and i only have a single tube in it. i wonder why there is such a diferent approach in your preamp. when we were talking at carverfest with bob himself, he said it only takes one tube for the given effect of the tube sound. and thus far, i totally agree. please post what your finding are as you try different types.