Author Topic: TRY THIS  (Read 4391 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
TRY THIS
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
I am a new guy who has no credibility.

Still, want to share this experience -

On my deck, I have a Polk MicroPro sub.  I like it, but for a year it makes things rattle.
I built this deck overlook, and it is solid, but the chairs and stuff - rattle.

I put the sub on a large concrete yard paver onto of a 1" rubber mat. 

I am not a big bass guy, but excellent music demands the right amount.  My Carver Speakers only go to 80, so you can see the problem.

I was a great foot racer (in my mind) and was always held back from my best by injury.  I found Sorbothane really did work.

I found this on ebay   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250446884796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It stopped all the rattle and now I can turn my sub up to the level it needs to work.

This might not be a good thing if you like your sub to shake your floor/chair.
If you want tight bass in the air - try this .

You will be amazed at what it does.

OO

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: TRY THIS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »
I love sorbothane, great for acoustical damping. Works in speakers, on woofer baskets, CD players, everywhere..

Thanks for the link.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
I got really good dampening material designed for computers a couple months ago from some place in Ohio. kI wish I could remember the name ( I think I actually posted about it), but it was really cheap!!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:04 AM »
Here is another source for Sorbothane.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3037000&cmss=sorbothane

I agree with OconeeOrange. This is great stuff!
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »
A few thoughts on Sorbothane. It stains whatever it comes in contact with and you cannot remove the stains. It does not do well supporting heavy objects. That is, the weight will cause the damping properties to diminish over time.

OO, did you try spikes on your sub?
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »
My sub is on the deck - so stains are no problem.  Never saw a stain in my running shoes though.

Sorbathane actually comes in many densities and the weight levels can be checked on line.   
I actually bought this lighter density to get better results, but higher density can be bought.
This one is rated for 500 pounds per inch.
To go beyond that, I bought two sheets.  I put one 4X4 under the middle of the concrete paver block.  I cut one more into one inch squares for the corners.  That seems to be spread out more than enough to support the sub.  Spikes might concentrate the weight, but the concrete paver spreads it out.  At any rate - it is working quite well. 

I don't think sorbathane compresses quickly.  As a runner, you just put it under your heel and it takes a big hit with each foot strike.  That is thousands of strikes over a ten mile run.  I never wore one out.