Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697807 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #2895 on: February 25, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »
Mobile Fidelity pressing of Abbey Road...   

(Carl - you may have started me on the path to collecting these mofi stuff - damn you)

I'm sold on them. Only have two "vintage" MOFI's and a couple of the more recent releases. There's a few down at The Attic right now.

Offline bwdst3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #2896 on: February 25, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »
Funky 16 Corners - Stones Throw (STH 3038)

Offline bwdst3

« Reply #2897 on: February 25, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
The Undisputed Truth - Method To The Madness (WH 2967)

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2898 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
"The Bigtown Blues Show" on WYEP

I love that show, and the Soul show which precedes it.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2899 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
I'm sold on them. Only have two "vintage" MOFI's and a couple of the more recent releases. There's a few down at The Attic right now.

I'm firmly in the camp that if you know how to read deadwax, you can get good sounding records for pennies all day.   I think that when they came out, they had value because you knew they would be good as opposed to sealed vinyl which might be great or might be terrible.

On that note, I just finished listening to a new copy of this...   It is noisy and lacks definition.   My 53 year old Thad Jones album from GW sounds far better than it does.   Sad.   I wonder if a MFSL is forthcoming (j/k).

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2900 on: February 25, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »
The Radio-WZUM 88.1.  Pittsburgh has a Jazz channel!  It's a public station and a but tough to pick up with a clean signal.  I have not yet figured out if it is affiliated with WQED or WYEP/WESA.

Here is the skinny:

Very quietly over the last five years, the Pittsburgh Jazz Channel has been building a 24/7 jazz service that carries on the musical legacy of the late, and lamented, WDUQ.  We’re a small, bare-bones group of volunteers who love this music dearly, and who think that as one of jazz history’s most important cities, Pittsburgh deserves a radio station that will focus on offering this music – a station that won’t hide it in corners of its schedule, or think of it as something to be put on the back burner.  JAZZ RADIO IS WHAT WE DO.

www.wzum.org
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:50:02 PM by MacGeek »
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2901 on: February 25, 2017, 10:53:06 PM »
I should have done my homework first.  Here is the skinny on WZU

Very quietly over the last five years, the Pittsburgh Jazz Channel has been building a 24/7 jazz service that carries on the musical legacy of the late, and lamented, WDUQ.  We’re a small, bare-bones group of volunteers who love this music dearly, and who think that as one of jazz history’s most important cities, Pittsburgh deserves a radio station that will focus on offering this music – a station that won’t hide it in corners of its schedule, or think of it as something to be put on the back burner.  JAZZ RADIO IS WHAT WE DO.

www.wzum.org  You can stream it, or listen on the FM dial at 88.1

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2902 on: February 25, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »
I did a thread on this about a month ago.   The Cliff Notes version is that they are trying to get a better FM and that the AAC stream is far superior to the MP3.

http://vintagehifi.audio/index.php/topic,3833.0.html

Sorry you missed it.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2903 on: February 25, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »
WZUM, Mad Mike use to play his "Moldie Oldies" on that station back in the 60's.  That station probably has a lot of old tubes in their consoles.  I think they existed on paper only for a lot of years with not much air time.  Somebody still kept their license.  It's good to hear they are putting that license to some good use.
Carl

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2904 on: February 26, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
Mobile Fidelity pressing of Abbey Road...   

(Carl - you may have started me on the path to collecting these mofi stuff - damn you)

MOFI pressings were a real break through in the early 80's.  They not only did the half speed mastering but they figured out that surface noise could be significantly reduced by using black dye instead of a carbon black powder in the polyvinyl.  The natural state of polyvinyl if perfectly clear.  Record companies thought the product needed to be black like the old shellacs or whatever the old 78's etc. were made of.  The carbon black power is the source of many of the clicks, pops and other surface noise on records.

If you hold a MOFi pressing up to a light, you can see through it.  The 1/2 speed mastering, low surface noise and quality pressings have made them very desirable.  They also pressed a limited number and retired the metal masters.  Some say they broke the molds.  That might be an urban legend.
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2905 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:58 AM »
Some say they broke the molds.  That might be an urban legend.

I'm pretty sure it was part of the licensing agreement.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2906 on: February 26, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
STaL- I got the streaming connection, but didn't realize there was an FM signal.  Thanks

Offline bwdst3

« Reply #2907 on: February 26, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
Tavares - In The Moment (ST-11396)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2908 on: February 26, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
STaL- I got the streaming connection, but didn't realize there was an FM signal.  Thanks

@MG. I know you have an AM/FM HD tuner. You do know about WESA HD-2, 90.5 GDP don't you. Great jazz programming 24/7. No commercials. I love it. I have three home tuners (living room, bedroom, spare room), two pocket size receivers for use with ear buds or cans and a portable with built in speaker that also has an aux input. I also listen to WQED 89.3 HD-1 and HD-2. Both are classical 24/7 no commercials. HD-2 is all Pgh Symphony orchestra.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2909 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
PBJ-I am aware of all of the HD channels, but found WZUM on the FM dial while tinkering last night.  They also broadcast at 101.1 FM, but I can't receive that frequency.  I don't know where the towers are, but suspect they are low power.