Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697984 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3180 on: September 17, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »
Not "right now" but earlier tonight I was listening to lots of great people at Farm Aid.   The early highlight for me was the Avett Brothers set.   This really surprised me as I was not a huge fan but they put on a spectacular short set.   Act after act that followed didn't best them.   I will definitely be revisiting their material.

Sheryl Crow and Lukas Nelson singing together on "Midnight Rider" was my one goosebump moment of the evening.   Neil Young did a set list with some (relative) obscurities and all songs that I love.   "Cortez the Killer", "Comes a Time" and "Human Highway" are all songs that I never expected to hear but was thrilled when he played them.   He finished his set with "Like a Hurricane" into "Rocking in the Free World" and that geezer is still just as intense as he ever was.   So much for nobody topping the Avetts.   What a great show.   What a wonderful evening.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3181 on: September 17, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
Right now, I'm down on Ocracoke island listening to the the dogs bark and the roosters crowing for day. I think there may be a song or two with that imagery.

I've seen the Avetts numerous times and don't envy anyone following them.  They usually whip up quite the frenzy!  Thanks for the review, STaL.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3182 on: September 17, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
I don't go to shows at Starlake anymore, but this one was tempting. Instead, me and the baby watched some of the broadcast on AXS. We didn't get halfway through yet. So far, Texas Flood by Lukas Nelson and the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds set were my favorites. Tim Reynolds is incredible at adding to Dave's solo playing. I was disappointed Lukas Nelson and Jamey Johnson got shorted on the broadcast. I know country isn't a favorite here, but Johnson's Lonesome Song LP is one of my favorites. Hope Cortez the Killer made the cut for TV. Only time I've seen Neil Young live was way back at the last Farm Aid at Starlake and his set back then blew me away.

Glad you had a good time STaL

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3183 on: September 17, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
You said "yet".   Does this mean you have it on the DVR?   Do you have a way to burn it to DVDs?   I'm going to check some other resources, but if they come up blank it would be wonderful to have such a souvenir or the event.   I'm sure I'd watch it repeatedly.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3184 on: September 17, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »
The early ones were shorted because the show actually started at 12:30 but the broadcast didn't start until 3.   If I find someone who captured the entire webstream, I can get you a copy.   I would be stunned if the headliners sets are truncated.

BTW, I like that kind of country.   I just don't like top 40 bro country.   I have Sturgill and Jason in my collection and plan now to seek out Johnson's album.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:44:36 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3186 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
I recorded the 12-5AM broadcast. They also shuffled the acts in the broadcast. Sometimes I can rip DVR recordings (or live TV) if the broadcast isn't locked. I can't recall the specific codes, but some broadcasts can only be played on a single device, others can be replayed via firewire. I'll need to check it out.

Hopefully the whole recording exists and makes it out.

Whitey Morgan and the 78s may worth a listen.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3187 on: September 17, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
I recorded the 12-5AM broadcast. They also shuffled the acts in the broadcast. Sometimes I can rip DVR recordings (or live TV) if the broadcast isn't locked. I can't recall the specific codes, but some broadcasts can only be played on a single device, others can be replayed via firewire. I'll need to check it out.

Hopefully the whole recording exists and makes it out.

Whitey Morgan and the 78s may worth a listen.

Oh, that would be a truncated broadcast.   I'll keep you posted via PM on my efforts to get the whole thing.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3188 on: September 19, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »
Tonight's surround sound session... 

Brilliant musically and sonically.

Very disappointing.   Another one that sounds like the stereo files were simply run through a Pro Logic decoder.   The stereo is far more powerful.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3189 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:59 AM »
Knopfler is a great, underrated guitar player, IMO
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3190 on: September 30, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
Beth Hart  "fire on the floor"

if you have not heard Beth, you owe it to yourself to give her a listen. Wow, what a voice. Only found this on CD while traveling, but it made more than a few miles slip by pretty quickly. Actually a very good recording for a CD.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3191 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Hit up a few record shops while traveling to/ through Asheville, Charleston, Savannah and Myrtle Beach these past two weeks. Here's a list of the LPs I picked up. Have not had time to clean them yet, nor give them a critical listen due to breaking in new Silnote speaker cables (so far, so good). 

-Wayne Henderson "Big Daddy's Place" - great recording and music if you can get beyond the one disco cut lol
-Canned Heat "Vintage"  surprising good recording
-John Abercrombie / John Dejohnette  "New Directions"   pretty sweet album
-John Abercrombie    "Abercrombie Quartet  M"     good recording    not listened to in depth yet
-Dexter Gordon  "Ca-Purange"   Great recording    surprisingly progressive
-Jazz at the Philharmonic in Europe   Japanese  Verve    just excellent pressing and sound   Dizzy, JJ Johnson, Stan Getz
-Gil Evans "Live at the Public Theater (NY 1980)  Japanese pressing    Quite good   
-Joe Farrell Quartet   CTI 6003   great album  with Chick Corea, John McLaughlin. Turning into a real Joe Farrell fan.

- Walter Trout  "We're all in this together"   I really like WT, so I paid up for this latest release. Sound is at best so-so... I swear it was recorded off of a CD. Dynamics are really missing from every cut on the two record set. Which is a real shame especially with all the great artists on it. Love the music, but not the recording
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #3192 on: October 02, 2017, 10:31:49 PM »
Picked up some vintage vinyl today, Steely Dan-The Royal Scam, ELO- 1st album I think, The Alan Parsons Project- I Robot, Pablo Cruise- Worlds Away, all appear in very nice clean condition, well taken care of original (maybe) issues. Spinning Steely Dan now.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3193 on: October 02, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »

The Blu-Ray has the Gutherie 5.1 and the AP quad as concurrent tracks on the audio selector, so you can A/B compare track by track with only slight glitches.   It may be just my system, or it may be the fact that I've been listening to the AP since it was booted about ten years ago, but I like the quad better.   Even though it is two fewer channels, it seems less congested to my ear.   Of course, that is the type of thing that is very system dependent as well.   YMMV.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3194 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:57 AM »
Isn't the quad all analog?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77