Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697796 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3195 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
I suspect it is but never gave a thought to the provenance of it or the 5.1.   My favorite 5.1 ever (Dire Straits - BIA) is not only digital, but low bit rate digital.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3196 on: October 03, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
Listening to Bob Dylan 12-8-79. Decent audience recording  of a show early on from the Born Again tour
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3197 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »

These two albums aren't my favorite surround mixes, but they are everything I love about DVD-A and why I (heresy alert) prefer it to SACD.

Nick of Time has a large, non discreet surround mix on most tracks (it works better for the blues numbers than the pop stuff), but a couple tunes like "Have a Heart" do have some dedicated instrumentation in the rears.   Not the best mix I've heard, but not the worst either.   What I really like about the DVD-A is that it most closely replicates the "vinyl experience" as any digital album I've found.   The album lets you select a slide show, track credits or lyrics for each song as it plays.   This, to me, mirrors how I generally enjoy a record.   I look at the album art, read lyrics or see who played what as I listen to an album.   That was the same thing I found myself doing with this disc.

Buena Vista Social Club did far more than just replicate the vinyl experience.   It turned the whole thing into an interactive documentary.   Since the album was a collaborative effort, with many people playing on different tracks, there are detailed credits for each track.   In addition, there are extensive liner notes for each track which give background on the song, the performers and the recording.   I found this to be incredibly helpful as I know almost nothing about Cuban music.   If all of that wasn't enough, there is also a video documentary on the disc.   If Nick of Time is like digital vinyl, this one is like a digital box set with a 30 page book included.   The only down side is that Ry did the surround mix himself, which I think was a mistake.   It is a basic three channel theater type mix, with only light ambiance in the rears.   The good news is that you can also listen to the superior stereo mix in high resolution as you peruse the other features.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3198 on: October 04, 2017, 05:23:34 AM »
Great jazz album..... Gil Evans "Out of the Cool"

Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3199 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:16 PM »
Swingin' along to "Clark Terry " on Emarcy Mono vinyl.  Great stuff and backed by Horace Silver, Oscar Petitford and Pittsburgh's own Art Blakey among others.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3200 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:46 AM »

Just finished listening to the 5.1 Blu Ray.   This is worth seeking out if you are a fan of the album, not essential for the casual listener.   A nice mix, but not outstanding.   Ironically, the part I was most looking forward to ended up being the biggest disappointment.   I love the Chris Cornell/Eddie Vedder duet on "Hunger Strike" and was hoping for a creative mix there.   It was creative.   They went with a front/rear mix for the two singers.   IMHO this would have worked great except that they put Cornell front center, and Vedder rear left and right (I suppose for the lack of a rear center).   The problem is that putting Eddie across two speakers while Chris is in just the one gives the effect of his vocal being bigger.   Of course in the stereo mix this isn't the case and it makes no sense to have that effect here.   Had they put Cornell across the front two speakers rather than just in the center this mix would have been brilliant.   There is no "credits" page on the disc (the menuing as a whole is not great), so I don't know who did the mix, but they were so close.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3201 on: October 15, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Gregg Allman Southern Blood...
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3202 on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
"If six was nine" - Todd Rundgren      Faithful (Bearsville - vinyl)

Randomly pulling out recently acquired LPs for a spin.....
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3203 on: October 15, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
"If six was nine" - Todd Rundgren      Faithful (Bearsville - vinyl)

Randomly pulling out recently acquired LPs for a spin.....

Such a cool album.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3204 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
You owe it to yourself to take a listen to this album/ CD. Fabulous recording and the music is just as good!  I dare you to listen to track 7  " papa was a rolling stone" and deny you weren't moving to the music lol 

Lee Ritenour  "overtime"
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3205 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
A great player.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3206 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »

It's been a long day so I'll try to be brief.   The whole listen is great.   "Your My Best Friend" has some subtleties that I had always missed on the stereo mix.   I now appreciate "'39" in a way I hadn't before.   Of course "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the centerpiece of the album and the 5.1 mix is nothing short of breathtaking.   I had wondered if dividing all of those layered vocals between five speakers would make them seem smaller.   Nope, the opposite effect happened.   Being able to hear each of the dense layers more clearly actually had the effect of making the vocals seem even larger.   A couple of times I heard things that I don't think were actually in the stereo mix at all.   Did Elliot Scheiner end up using tracks that had been recorded and left out of the original mix or are they simply audible for the first time?   You know what?   I don't care.   Either way, listening to that recording with that mix was akin to a religious experience for me.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3207 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
Steely Dan - Gaucho - 5.1 SACD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3208 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »

I hear that's a good one.   Some say the DVD-A is even better, but I think that's probably just in their heads.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3209 on: November 09, 2017, 09:48:39 PM »

I hear that's a good one.   Some say the DVD-A is even better, but I think that's probably just in their heads.

I wish the multis of Aja weren't missing.   I'm certain that one would be glorious in 5.1.