Author Topic: Mikey's System Rocks!  (Read 5920 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Mikey's System Rocks!
« on: October 27, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »
Greetings HiFi nutz!

I stopped over to Mike's (Falcon377) house the other night for a visit.  His hospitality is always top notch and I always get to see and hear some really cool gear.  His latest home setup had me absolutely floored! :o  He has a pair of Infinity Delta 60's powered by a McCormack DNA-1, a Melos tube preamp and a really sweet sounding Emo CD player.  I knew this system was going to sound good, but I didn't expect it to sound that good!!!  Great holographic imaging, nice wide sound stage, chest pounding bass and the mid range voicing was awesome.  We listened for about 2 hours to some Sting, Patricia Barber, Pink Floyd and some other goodies.  What a grand time!  I was really impressed by the Emo.  It looks almost as good as it sounds, very impressive.  I was really taken back by the overall experience.  I think he has found audio Nirvana.  But, he'll probably have all this stuff for sale next week ;D ;D ;D ;D . . . . . . JK

I left there with a vintage but never worn (still in bag) Polk Audio jacket.  I look forward to visiting him again in his new Fox Chapel mansion.  Thanks for the great time!
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mikey's System Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
WHAT A SUPER EXPERIENCE!!!! WISH WE ALL WERE THERE!!!!    8) 8) 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
Post some pics Mikey!!!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
Thank you Carl, always a pleasure when you visit.  :D
 And thank you very much for the kind words, it is always rewarding when a fellow Audiophile likes your system.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
   This system wont be for sale any time soon, It has taken to long to put it together. However, along the way, the last couple months I have been very fortunate, and scored some fantastic audio gear.. That will be going up for sale, very soon..
  Thanks again Carl, and thank you for the time I got to spend with your Quad CD player, that is a awesome machine, that let me know just how much difference a real hi-end CD player can make.

Thanks Carl, you are welcome in our home anytime!!! And please do visit our new Mansion. :o :o

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
All I know is it better sound pretty darn good with all the equipment movement in and out over the last few months.  I think you almost bested OCCD lately with what you have acquired.

Congrats on the good sound!
Got Carver?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »
I heard it when he was running the B&Ws with the same electronic set-up and it sounded awesome. If Mike "upgraded" to the infinities I can't wait to give it another listen!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
The Infinity Delta series were a serious upgrade.. These were the last hi end speakers Infinity made, before Harman Intl. bought them out. Harman only let these be made for 1 year, so they are in very limited numbers. These were made in Denmark, very high quality construction.. ;D

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
The Infinity Delta series were a serious upgrade.. These were the last hi end speakers Infinity made, before Harman Intl. bought them out. Harman only let these be made for 1 year, so they are in very limited numbers. These were made in Denmark, very high quality construction.. ;D

When it comes to speakers, those Danes know their shit!
Carl

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
Mikey, you are out of control!  I love it! ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Jeff M

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
I wish I was closer to the Burgh to listen to some different rigs. There are only a few of us up here that have anything worth listening to. Speaking of the Infinity, I sold my incredible set of the Infinity Delta/Gamma's from 1989 last winter  :(. Those were a great speaker, but needed the cash. :-[ I used to have the RS1b's too :'(

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
Mikey,

Glad someone is finally putting the Deltas to use.  Spent most of their time wasting away as rear surrounds at my house. 
I think this final incarnation of the emit may be the best.  They sounded awful good when I finally tried them in stereo.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
Thanks Dale, These are excellent speakers IMO, they have replaced some very high end speakers. And I agree these have the best version of the Emit tweeters.
  Over the last month I have had speakers from B&W, Theil, Near, Snell, and others. ;D ;D ;D  These were only beaten by the Snell's, However, in my new house, the Snell's are just to dang big!!!! So Tommy now has the Snell Type B's, someone should try to buy them, if they have a large enough room..

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
I did try to buy them - Tommy says their not for sale.
Think I'll get a pair of AR 90's
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
Mike, you need to post pics of the system set up in the new homestead!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.