Author Topic: FS: Original Large Advents  (Read 6280 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: FS: Original Large Advents
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
Hey SD - reviewing my collection of headphones - they are all crap,  so I am going to start looking. I have owned two pairs of PortaPros - both broke within two years. I gave one of my son's a pair of Grado SR80is for xmas that he is is really happy with and I like them but they do not feel like I could wear them for more than an hour.  What is your recommendation for not-too-expensive audiophile around the ear headphones? 

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
Congrats on the trade!

SD, Scott is the main man on cans.  I've heard some of his beauties!!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
Oh yeah Carl, I'm fully aware. I'm supposed to get over his way to give the Beyers and AKG's a listen. I'm on the market for one of the two. Or both.

Pepe: If you want opinions on Grado stuff, I'm your guy. Otherwise, see what Carl just said. Scott is the dude for non-Brooklyn headphones. I'm limited to Grado, having owned 60's, 80's, 125's, 225's, and 325's, and I've heard RS1's.

If you like the Grado "house" sound, then you might want to check into a set of SR60's. They maintain detail and that Grado "grittyness" without being as bright or in your face as the 80's and 125's. The bass on the 60's is smooth and engaging. The mids are where they really shine. The highs aren't as shrill or sparkly as the 80's or 125's. The 80's and 125's have punchier bass, the difference being more control on the 125's.

Put it this way, I own 325is's, and I still listen to my SR60's at least 25% of the time. You might not be happy with the flat cushions that come with them, so you might want to upgrade to bowls.

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
Now trade me some headphones for my Sansui SP-5500X's!!! :o 8)

My objective is too reduce speaker inventory.   ;D

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
I did not know you could get bowls for the Grados - that helps.  I owned the 60s several years back and liked them,  except for the pads. Thanks - will also contact the other members to see what they recommend on the other brands. 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
Yeah. The G-Cushion, L-Cushion, and S-Cushion are all interchangeable. I own all three, actualy. I sometimes use the G's on my 325's to open up the soundstage at the sacrifice of detail.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
I am listening to OLAs right now.   Amazing speakers for their age (45 years young).  Can produce more SPLs than my 48 year old ears can handle.  I am amazed the tweeters are in such great shape after all this time.   

bmwr75

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »
Pepe, glad you like the OLAs.