Author Topic: Newest acquisition  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Newest acquisition
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
I picked these up the other day for $20. I wouldn't have even looked at the ad for Sony speakers if it weren't for another ad about a month ago for the same speakers that gave me the insight that sony actually made good speakers. The only difference between the ad I bit on and the earlier one was the first guy wanted $600 for his!
These are Sony SS TL-5 speakers. They are American made Transmission Line speakers featuring a dome tweet, 5" mid, 6.5" mid-bass, and a rear firing 8" woofer. Here's more info... http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/SSTL5/SSTL5.html .
These thing actually sound very good! I haven't logged enough time to give a thorough review, but I was immediately impressed. I'm running them on a Proton receiver at the moment, but they definitely need more power, so the next step is a bigger power amp.
The speakers aren't mint by any means. I need to replace the dust caps on the mid-basses. The veneer is pretty shotty. One of the tweeters was pushed in but I was able to remove the diaphragm and push it back into place. I'm thinking about replacing the tweeters anyway with a pair of Vifa dual concentric Polk LSI tweeters. If you  know of any sweeter sounding tweets in that price range please let me know. They have to be 3.75" dia.
Here's a pic.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Newest acquisition
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Nice  score Ed!!!   :o :o

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
Good catch.  Beats my Advent score, by a factor of 2.

Bill Cain

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
Nice one Edzo.

Vifas do not suck!  ;D ;D I say go for it.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »
I think the Vifa D25AG-6 is what is in the Snell type B and also the N.E.A.R. 50M
This is my favorite tweeter ever.....  Not sure of the diameter..

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
Ed - these spikas look very nice.  The first time you posted the link and mentioned you were going to pick them up I was a somewhat surprised.  When I see Sony tower speakers I think of the stuff one would buy at Sears in the 80s.  These look to be rare and an interesting design.  Serves me right for stereotyping Sony speakers.  Please report after detailed listening - let us know how they do in the bass department.

Pepe

bmwr75

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
Sony made at least a few high-end models.  The ones in the picture below are Sony SS-M7s.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
Sony made at least a few high-end models.  The ones in the picture below are Sony SS-M7s.

Those look awesome!! I think all of the "junk" jap names have put out nice stuff at one point or another. Pioneer has their TAD? (I think that's what they are) speakers which are supposed to be amazing. Thanks to steve the refoam guy, I know Onkyo made sweet speakers. I think we're all familiar with Yamaha NS-1000's. I don't understand why these companies do it. It seems like they put this high end shit out every 10 years or so just to test their engineers and keep them on their toes. Maybe they just get bored?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.