Author Topic: Hello, Suggestions for a system?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline KLund1

• FNG !!!
Hello, Suggestions for a system?
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
Hi
  First time here. I used to be heavy into Hi-Fi in my youth in the late 70's to late 80's. I had some good stuff. JBL Lancers 101's, AR 8's, Sherwood s-9900, and matching tuner, DBX DB2, Carver H9, Ampex R to R. All of which I lost over the years since marriage and kids. I did manage to keep my klipsch heresy's, and my Technics SL-1300 with a shure V-15 type 4, and all my LP's.

I'd like to add an amp and tuner to what I've got left. But I'm having some trouble deciding what vintage gear I want to go with them. (i have a nice home theater system that everyone uses, but this is for me)
  I was thinking about a Technics Su7700, or maybe a Kenwood KA-6100, or KA 501, or something along those lines. And the matching tuner. I'd prefer and amp with analog meters.
  But it's been so long I can't remember  what's good and what's not. I have been looking for a vintage audio gear forums, and this was one I found. (are there others?)
 I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions about what I might look at. I did not want to spend more than about 250. Any ideas?
 Thanks everyone, nice web site, by the way.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Hello, Suggestions for a system?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
Welcome to the club.
My vote is for a Sansui AU-717 with a TU-717. May be a bit more than $250, but I think it would be worth it.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum and good luck...
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
Got Carver?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
Welcome...lots of good people here with alot of various components to help!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
If brand matching is not important, I can help.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »
Show up at the shop with cash, leave happy.

Offline KLund1

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for warm welcome. I'm in California, so SunnyDaze, i don;t think I'll be stopping by Pittsburgh, but thanks.   
Shape-shifter, the sansui AU-717 looks like a bit more horsepower than I need, and a bit out my budget right now too. But I see the value of it from read a few reviews though.
Any other suggestions? 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:06:42 PM »
If you want bang for your bucks, scrounge for an Onkyo M-504 / P-304 combo. Check out Falcon377's amplifier competition, and read his impressions of the Onkyo. I found my setup for a few hundred dollars, there are deals out there if you look. And yes, the meters are captivating.

You can get a solid tuner for under $80, even sometimes on ePay. I wouldn't buy into branding so much as I would internal construction.

Check out http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/