Author Topic: MY OutDoor System  (Read 2963 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
MY OutDoor System
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
I don't know if I have listed my system, if I did, cannot find it due to the six pack of excellent beer I am drinking.   :P
I understand most could care less about outdoor music, but it is raining and I am bored out here on the deck.
Like most, I have more than one system.  I have a good one in my RedNeck bar that I am trying to mix in some tubes with to complement my new Rega 5 Turntable, and a pretty good one running my 55" LED TV.

The two I use the most are the poor ass one near my bedside, and the damn good one on my porch.

Today, lets do my porch system.   :-\
I like to sit outside (outside right now).  I get bored sitting in a closed environment playing tunes.  Bob Carver likes to sit in the dark so he can concentrate, but my simple mind bores me.  I sit outside year round, and especially love the really hot or really cold days.  I never miss a good storm.  On the porch, things are changing and exciting to me as I am a bird/critter watcher.  I just like to be outside, so I play a lot of music here.  You start with a radio, OCCD kicks in and well, all here know how that works.  :o

My outdoor system is not to light up the yard for a cook out, but like an indoor one with a sweet spot centered on my Adirondack chair.  That might be the difference in my outdoor system and what most want.

I have tinkered with this since 1995 and the present sound of it might impress you.  I have to give a lot of the credit to TnRabbit who took me from 4 double cube speakers to this.  (laugh if you want, but the cube system w/sub hooked to Carver amps was a sweet sound) The Rabbit just wanted more for me. ;D

My limitations are a small space and it all being outdoors.  Things like floor standing speakers are out.  Some tell me putting good stuff outside is a route to ruin things.  I agree, but I buy my things to use up, not to resale.

I have experimented with keeping the stuff inside and running cables.
I use a computer as my music server out here.  I have average computer knowledge and have bought a shit load of wireless things.  They were quite popular a few years back, but not ready for prime time.  I have them in a box and you can have them when you visit.  There are some better ones now, but all have good and bad points.

At the end of the day, I prefer to have my audio junk out here with me.  We are a team.

I have thousands of songs in Flac on the computer I built for audio.  I think it is state of the art, and will up grade as that area improves.
The key for now with computer audio is that "less" is more.  (email me if you are interested)
I have a large monitor out here and use WinAmp on it. (I keep rain off the monitor with a Barbecue cover) 
There are many good players, most are free, and I have them all.  I prefer WinAmp for the same reasons many prefer FireFox (the ability to customize it are many).  I have tried them all, including the paid ones (free trials).  The actually sound difference in the best of them is beyond my old ears, and none are as pleasing as WinAmp in other areas - to me.

Here is my present system, plus I added a Parasound Zbreeze fan this month over the Benchmark because it get over a hundred out here - I like those days!!

MY SIMPLE OUTDOOR SYSTEM -
YC SSD MUSIC SERVER - http://yardcrap.typepad.com/about.html
Benchmark DAC1/PRE - http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-pre
Rane AC 22S active crossover - http://www.rane.com/ac22s.html
Anti-Mode 8033S sub equalizer - http://www.dspeaker.com/
Polk MicroPro 4000 subwoofer - http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/dsw/#dswmicropro4000
Sunfire 600-2 amp - http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/ma11.htm
Sunfire CRS-3 speakers - http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=18

(all cables made from old lamp cord)

This post was a lot of work/fun -
I think I will put it up on my blog and maybe on Carver.
On Carver all groan when I post as I have never gained the finesse of the one line post --- :)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: MY OutDoor System
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
what is your opinion of the Anti-Mode 8033 subwoofer eq? does it perform as advertised?

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
It is a bit pricey.
Some others in the range give you more options.

On the other hand, if you just want an excellent device to plug in, push a button and tame your sub - this is it.

If you can move your sub around, you can eventually get it to a pleasing place.  I advise 1/2 Sorbathane on the feet to isolate it from the floor so all the tunes go into the air. 

My sub here on the porch could only sit in one spot, right beside my chair.
This thing is great !!  The PolK 4000 I am using on the porch actually has something like that built in.  This is much better.

I can't say it is something everyone needs.  There are other choices.
It works really good though, and the only draw back of course is that you need one for each sub.
I can say now that I have used it for months, and if I did not have it, I would buy it.

It is just what I need out here.  I have not seen a need to spend the money on my subs in my other systems because I am a cheap asshole.

It is an excellent, easy to use item.  Like I said at the top, if you are handy, some others give more options.  I like plug and play.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »
Cheap asshole!!  that's me too - ask Tom!   Thanks for the advice.  BTW - never new Polk made such a high-endish sub. 

Offline wkhanna

• Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
OO, great post!

Please never keep them under five sentances!

You made me feel like I was sitting out there with you.

Move a little to the right, I want closer to the sweet spot!
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
Getting summer....I can attest that the outdoor system will be a rockin. Nothing as impressive as OO but sufficient to hear over the hot tub noise. Little TFM-6cb mated with a C-6 pre/tuner a Maganavox cd deck I bought new 20 years ago (5 disc changer) running through my deck mounted Advents. I had it running when the Pittsburgh boys were down. I didn't hear any complaints...even though the Torpedo's may have had something to do with that!!!!  :P :P :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
You have a hot tub?
I would say invite me over if me and someone besides you (girl) can sit in there and enjoy the tunes --- 8)  If not, I could bring my own blow up doll - I mean float.

I bet that new Squeezebox lights it up out there.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
Bill...I'll give you a call soon to plan a time.  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!