Author Topic: Hello from Rhode Island  (Read 6565 times)

Offline mhamel

• FNG !!!
Re: Hello from Rhode Island
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Thanks again for all the warm welcomes!  :)

Anders/Tin - Yeah, I like to tinker a bit - don't always have the time for it, but it's fun.  I've designed/built a few sets of speakers over the years, a few headphone amps, fixed/modded gear, etc.  I had a subscription to Radio Electronics as a kid, so between that and an irresistible urge to take everything in the house apart, the bug bit me early on.

schwarcw - I'm in Warwick, one town over from E.G.

TN - hahahaha, nope... or Dorothy, either.  *grin*

-Mike

SunnyDaze

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
Headphone amps, you say?

Tell us more...

Offline mhamel

• FNG !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
I've built a few over the years.   For some reason, I like to recycle things for the enclosures... this, several years back, was built in an antique cigar box:

http://www.richat.com/mhamel/photos/meta42/

So far, all solid state, other than a rebuilt/mod on a cheap little Chinese hybrid tube amp I grabbed from eBay, which after almost completely rebuilding, sounds surprisingly good.  It was re-cased in an old Mac Mini shell:

http://www.richat.com/mhamel/photos/bravo_amp_mods/

I have to say, though, my current favorite headphone amp is actually a Pioneer SA-9100 that I bought from Tom about a week and a half ago.  I'm using a Schiit Audio Lyr as a tube linestage into it, and it's pretty outstanding driving a set of Audeze orthodynamic headphones.    At some point I'd like to pick up a nice set of vintage speakers to add to the rig... as good as the SA-9100 sounds as a headphone amp, it would be nice to listen to it through speakers as well.

-Mike

Headphone amps, you say?

Tell us more...

Offline mhamel

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
I should also mention I'm a big fan of Carver/Sunfire gear.

My first separate amp was a Carver M1.0t - I was 14 when the Stereophile challenge was published, and after reading it, I worked and saved and finally bought one for myself in '86 along with a Kenwood preamp that was in the demo/sale rack (only thing I had enough money left for at the time :-) ) then later bought a Carver C-2.   I don't have either any longer, I wish I'd held onto them.... I sold the amp years ago and gave away the C-2.   Currently I've got a Sunfire Cinema Grand in my HT rig.

-Mike

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:01:16 AM by mhamel »

SunnyDaze

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
You know, it's funny you mention the 9100. Scott (bmwr75) and I were discussing how vintage receivers are all the rage right now on Head-Fi because of their headphone amplifier sections. Personally, I find that headphone the amplifier section of my Onkyo Integra P-304 is more than competent.

Very interesting projects that you've got going on. I like the cigar box. I'm also into recycling shells and casings from various items. My subwoofer plate amp found a permanent home inside the housing of an old Electro Voice EV 1180 receiver.

How do you like the Audeze cans?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:49:16 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline mhamel

• FNG !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
If you hang out on head-fi, you know it's notorious for FOTM gear that everyone seems to *havetohavethisrightnow* and then 2 months later, no one wants anything to do with it.  I'd been reading about the Audeze cans for a while, and I was initially thinking that's what it would be, but over a year later, people are just nuts about them still, so I thought I'd bite.   Unfortunately there's not much around RI in the way of meets, so I had to buy them un-heard, but I figured I could turn them around pretty quickly if I didn't like them.

I'm glad I did... I haven't had a huge variety of reference, but they are the best cans I've ever heard.   Some people think their highs are too laid-back, but I don't find that the case at all.  I wouldn't call them bright, but they do sound very natural.  The mids are really, really nice, and they without a doubt have the best bass I've heard in a headphone.  They could be a bit lighter, but I do think they're comfortable and you get used to the weight.  There's something nice about how solid they feel.  My Beyer 990s feel like toys in comparison, and will probably be up for sale in the near future.

You know, I don't know what it is about recyling cases...  there's some pretty amazing DIY casework out there and one of these days I'd love to go all out and build something along those lines, but I like the challenge of building something into something else that was never intended for it and making it work.   That Mac Mini was a bit of a pain in the ass to get to come together like that, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to do.   Back around the same time I did the cigar box amp, I also did a portable amp in the shell of a wireless mouse - I think that has to be my favorite.. rigged up the mouse wheel to a pot as a volume control.  Heh.  It's not really much of an amp sound-wise, it was more to see if I could pull it off.    http://www.richat.com/mhamel/photos/mouseamp/ 

-Mike

You know, it's funny you mention the 9100. Scott (bmwr75) and I were discussing how vintage receivers are all the rage right now on Head-Fi because of their headphone amplifier sections. Personally, I find that headphone amplifier section of my Onkyo Integra P-304 is more than competent.

Very interesting projects that you've got going on. I like the cigar box. I'm also into recycling shells and casings from various items. My subwoofer plate amp found a permanent home inside the housing of an old Electro Voice EV 1180 receiver.

How do you like the Audeze cans?

bmwr75

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
SD - I have a 9100 too.  You may not have noticed it since it is in the stack next to the Marantz stuff I ususally turn on when you are over.

Mike - I too have LCD-2s and think they sound great.  Have driven them mainly with a Sansui 7000 vintage receiver I got from Pepe on this forum.