Author Topic: What is your dream system regardless of price?  (Read 6007 times)

SunnyDaze

What is your dream system regardless of price?
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
I'm just wondering, the what would yinzus dream system be comprised of? Revels? The Nautilus? Levinson N33's? Perhaps a lunar rover powered Clearaudio Statement with a Koetsu Jade Platinum cartridge?

If you could walk into audio heaven and pick and choose, what would it be?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: What is your dream system regardless of price?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
I haven't heard it yet
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
The dream system could be any number of large speakers and a nice preamp-amp combo - but the most significant aspect of my dream system would be the architected acoustics of the room.  If I could I would design the room from scratch to be acoustic heaven - and make it so that I could listen at high volume with no bitching from the neighbors (maybe my dream system is in a house in the middle of a farm away from civilization - or use some serious acoustic insulation).  I would also wire the room so that I could swap stuff out quickly and easily.  

If the rules of the game are that I need to name equipment,  I would go with Levinson No 333 power amp mated to a Perreaux SM6 MK ii preamp.  The sources would be some incredibly high end turntable (prob a VPI) with the best Grado cart ever made,  and a Meridian CD player.  I would throw in a PC with a very high end audio card and software to listen to high def audio.  The speakers would be Magnepan 3.6Rs.  The subwoofer would have to be a JL Audio Gotham - super fast to keep up with the glorious Magnepans.  

Well - enough dreaming.   Back to reality.

I am not blowing away that kind of dough if I can get twice the fun and 1% of the price buying vintage stuff.

Pepe

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
- TAD Reference One Loudspeakers (The most amazing speakers I have ever heard. Nothing else is even in the same league.)

- Ayre Acoustics Electronics (Amplifiers, CD, DAC)

Ron

Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
My dream system would probably be for my power amp/pre I would want the McIntosh MC2KW, McIntosh C-2300. For a CD player I would want the Philips LHH1000. That is if I could find one. For speakers I think I would want Legacy Audio Whispers.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
Pepe: That's EXACTLY how an engineer should reply!  ;D I agree though. There's a definite performance / cost relationship that directs me to take good deals on stuff, whether it be brand spankin' new or half a century old.

Ron: Those TAD's are a Pioneer product! I had no idea! Where did you hear them at? They look gorgeous!

Mikey: That system all in one room would look and sound completely gorgeous. It'd be REALLY tough to leave the house. Ever.  :P

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
Pepe: That's EXACTLY how an engineer should reply!  ;D I agree though. There's a definite performance / cost relationship that directs me to take good deals on stuff, whether it be brand spankin' new or half a century old.

Ron: Those TAD's are a Pioneer product! I had no idea! Where did you hear them at? They look gorgeous!

Mikey: That system all in one room would look and sound completely gorgeous. It'd be REALLY tough to leave the house. Ever.  :P
Yeah it would be pretty hard but I forgot to add that the Philips in the picture with all the copper that is just the transport it has a separate D to A converter. here is a link to tons of pictures http://www.marantzphilips.nl/philips_lhh1000_cdplayer/ also I attached some to.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:34:05 AM »
Little Mikey, you have learned well son.....  That would be a killer system. I can not think of anything better then that.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »

SD, I heard them a few times at RMAF (Rocky Mtn Audio Fest) and CE Show. They throw the MOST convincing sound stage and dynamics of anything I ever heard at those shows.

It is the only loudspeaker that I have heard that sounded real and I am not talkin' about reproducing chamber music. If you ever get a chance to hear them DO NOT pass it up.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
I think this guy's system would win my vote!!
http://current.com/1dega4c
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 10:03:23 AM »
This system is in Japan, but I'd have to say it'd be my ideal setup. Plus they acounted for accoustics.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Here are the speakers I want. genesis 1.2's  I will need to think about the rest.

http://www.soundscapeav.com/genesis/gen11.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:23:19 PM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
I think this guy's system would win my vote!!
http://current.com/1dega4c

Someone has to much money, and free time......  I would not want that sub system, but I sure would like to hear it.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
That sub has 16 18" woofer powered by only by a 60 watt per channel amp!! If the woofers were pushed to max power (6400 watts) they would hit 160 dbs!!! Absolutely insane!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Wow.  That system in Japan blew me away.  The ultimate in audio excess.  When I thought of designing the room I thought of basic acoustics to prevent standing waves, blah blah blah.  These f**ker built a friggin bass horn as part of the foundation of the listening chamber- he is got cojones.  I don't think he will be able to get any money for it on ebay later, unless he transfers title to the land/building as part of the transaction, though.  "Custom made subwoofer - house included"

Great site - thanks for exposing it here. 

Pepe