Author Topic: Opinions on earphones  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Opinions on earphones
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm going on vacation in a week and was looking for a new pair of earphones.  Can anyone recommend a set?  Looking for earphones, not headphones for sitting on the beach.

I have a line on a pair of these for about half the price but i'd like to hear opinions first.  http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se535-sound-isolating-earphones

SunnyDaze

Re: Opinions on earphones
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Rev, before you drop coinage on in ear monitors or whatever you want to call them, I should ask if you've used them for prolonged periods?

The reason I ask is because they just don't agree with some folks. I had a set of middle grade Sony's that I wore for a while at school. I started to get ear infections pretty regularly, and they went away when I stopped using in ear monitors.

Otherwise, have fun! :)

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »
Rev,

I have Shure e5C models, precursors to the one you are looking at.  Have used them for years with an iPod while traveling.   Highly recommend them.

Would love to know where to get a killer deal on a new pair of SE530s.  This model is highly rated in reviews.

Regards,
Scott

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
Scott is our resident expert on cans, buds and amps.  I've heard his stuff.  Just awesome!
Carl

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
I have a set of them as well.  They sound great, but can't tolerate them for extended periods.
Although I haven't contracted an infection from using them,  my ear canals do get irritated because moisture builds up inside.

I tried the different ear pieces and preferred the ones pictured; they seemed to sound the best.
The other types just did not appeal to me for one reason or another.

Nevertheless, I certainly wouldn't use these while on the beach in the hot sun.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:00:40 AM by retsalB retsaM »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Reverend

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
Thank you all for your opinions.  A friend of mine bought them and never used them.  He said he'd sell them to me for cheap.  I can see the issue with moisture and sitting in the sun but more then likely i'll be sitting under an umbrella with a floppy hat on most of the time since i'm a Mick.  I'll look around and see what else is available.  I just figured the cost was hard to beat.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
The foam tips may be a better choice. I only had one set and I tossed them after they got a little crusty.
They are similar to the foam earplugs that you pinch in your fingers. Maybe I should order some replacements and give them a try again.  ::)

HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »
I have a acquired a couple $$ sets, but they never seem to fit inside my ears right no matter what tips I use.  So I go with the ones that have the wire across the top of the head to hold them to the ear.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
I bought a pair of inexpensive Philips headphones & they've been tough as nails, practically indestructible (I'm hard on mobile ones), have great bass response (but not overpowering), and decent overall sound.  Cheap, too at only $15.08 on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband-Headphones-SHS5200-28/dp/B003CJTR8M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311457835&sr=8-2

TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
Like you I prefer headphones, but I guess for mobile use like the beach, buds would be better.

I just looked and found a pair of new M-Audio I paid a hundred for a couple years ago.  I just threw them in the solder bag and you can have them for all the help you have given me.  I have a comparable new pair of Sony I got for Christmas about the same time.  I'll throw them in if I can find them.