Author Topic: Boston Acoustics A-100s for Sale  (Read 4671 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Boston Acoustics A-100s for Sale
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
My friend owned a pair of these many years ago.  I liked them a lot.  I would get them..or at least
listen to them.  In regards to surrounds...yes is a difference.  It has to do with the compliance, roll size,
angle or straight edge etc.  Here is one example:  I own a pair of NEW LARGE ADVENTS.  The original
surround was very "loose" and springy.  Someone refoamed  with generic surrounds (much stiffer) before I bought them.  This raised the original Fs one one of the drivers from the original value (approx 25 HZ) to over 40 HZ.  Hmmm...so you would think that ruined them huh.  Actually...nope.  Cant hear a difference at all. Not sweeping test tones, not with music, nothing.  They play perfectly. So, in "theory" they changed but with a constant changing, dynamic music input there is no difference at all.  Dont get too hung up on the surrounds until you listen to them.  I bet money you will like them.  And unless the original equipment mfg offers surrounds as a replacement part most vintage speakers from the 80s will have "generic" surrounds.  But let it bug you unless you hear obvious abnomalities while they are playing.

Augie

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
That should have read:...DONT let it bug you....

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
I have a pair of A-40s I bought used from a dealer for the price of repairing the woofers, due to bad surrounds, when his customer abandoned them.  The woofers were replaced with new Boston drivers with rubber surrounds.  I have not measured them, but they sound very similar to another pair belonging to a family member, with foam surrounds.  If the A-100s sound OK, they are.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
Greetings interesting read, and I appreciate the technical contributions of my fine forum friends.

These speakers have great cosmetics and sound pretty damn good.  These are two way floor stander speakers.  We've had threads about eh $100 system.  You would be hard pressed to setup a system with these speakers at the center and spend another $40 for one of the receivers that we had on auction to come up with a better $100 system.  Somebody has a friend or college student that needs a good pair of speakers.
Carl