Author Topic: Martin Logan Sequel IIs  (Read 4757 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Martin Logan Sequel IIs
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »
Testing these MLs I recently bough off the list.  They are beautiful but way (way) bigger than I imagined them.  Original boxes, brochures, manual, etc.  They sound good,  but are very power hungry (not a good match for anything under 200 wpc).  May take them to the shop Saturday so you guys may see them at the meeting.  Not sure if there is space for them at the shop right now,  but I do want to get the woofers suspension replaced and the cross-over components verified - so hoping to get them there somehow soon. Or at least get the woofers and the motherboards to the bench for inspection.

In case you are wondering I give the edge to the Proac Response 3s at this point - but things may change after Tom and Anders work on them.  Still - these are strikingly beautiful (and SIX feet tall!).

Regards,

OBG

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:49:14 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Bunni

Re: Martin Logan Sequel IIs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
I'm presuming...and may get myself in trouble here..but if you can't get hose monsters to the shop, I wonder if Anders would be willing to go to you?  Of course there may be good reason if he can't...but all he can say is no right?

I'm gonna go hide now!  lol

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »
Thanks Bunni!!!!

The problem is not getting them to the shop - I put them back in their coffins and on the bed of the pickup and get them there gently. 

But have you seen how crowded the shop is these days?  I am not sure there is space inside  :-X

Pepe

Bunni

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:55 AM »
I haven't seen the new shop at all other than driving past it.  yes Anders said it's a bit on the crowded side right now.  I'm hoping to make it there in Saturday...will you be there?

Anders

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »
Give us some time to prepare as we just got back from Carverfest and have to figure out where to put everything.

Anders

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »
Ok no problem here.  They are on home theater duty now so not very tough duty. I would like to try them on the music setup with the 300 x 2,  but will wait for that after they are tuned up.   

I am sure you all had a blast in CF, welcome back...

OBG

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »
The Sequels are VERY nice.  One of the guys on carveraudio has a pair.   Very similar in size, architecture & sound to the Carver AL-IIIs.

Congrats--ou'll have to try them on the Black Beauty tube amps!!
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
By the way - it was rude for me not to offer this:  I will gladly store anything you can't warehouse properly in Babcock Blvd at my house.  Inventory will be humidity controlled and lovingly cared for until needed.  I specialize in storing large tube amps and Magnepan speakers,  but can also handle all kinds of vintage gear,  all at no cost to you - that is how nice a person I can be. 

:P :P :P :P :P

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »
Before I was shocked by the retained charge in one of the x-over boards - best to wait (as some of you know and told me but I ignored):

I finished the job using latex gloves to avoid any further electrocution issues:

Now both x-overs are back to spec cap wise and they sound great.   On to the next thing...

:)