Author Topic: New outdoor listening  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
New outdoor listening
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
Since last year we enclosed our porch for a listening room. That means I lost my outdoor grilling and listening area. So, this spring we put a deck on and I had the opportunity to search for a new pair of weather resistant speakers. The speakers I used last year were Definitive AW6500s. They were very nice sounding with impressive bass, but I've since sold them. This year a found a deal on a pair of JBL Control 29-1s. These are professional speakers used in amusement parks and clubs. They sell new for between 7-800 per pair, but I got mine for $200 used. I bought them from a guy selling them out of his storage locker and had no means to test them out. Of course he told me they were 100% operational, and of course they weren't. One horn was fried. One diaphragm and $22 later they are now alive and kicking.
I have these running from the Zone 2 outputs of my B&K preamp to a Carver TFM-35x. The speakers are said to handle 300 watts, so I think it's a good match. They sound great! Much better than the Definitives. The 8" woofer put out plenty of bass (above 43 hz) and the horns are very detailed without sounding squawky. They are efficient too. At around 60 watts (according to the Carver meters) they easily fill the back yard with full sound.
Hers are a couple pics...

I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: New outdoor listening
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
Very cool setup!
Got Carver?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
Nice!!! I was just on the deck yesterday listening to my outside system. Got up to 85 down here in SC!!! I'm just using some Advents pushed by a TFM 6 cb and matching pre. The more beer I soak up the better it sounds!  :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
Nice setup.   Can't wait to hear them and drink your beer. :laugh:
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »
Looks great!!   I bet you can piss off the neighbors with that set up.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Thank God I have understanding neighbors!! Looking forward to seeing you next month Tom!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
Thanks guys.

Anytime Tom (or anyone else for that matter). I always have beer in the fridge :D.

I'm lucky to have understanding neighbors too. We had our wedding/reception here, and part of the sound system was 4 12" infinity kappa perfects running in stereo at 2 ohms off of a TFM 25. Bass was loud and clear past the end of our street :o... No cops were called.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Looks great Ed!

bmwr75

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
Ed,

What kind of weed is that growing in the pot?   ;D

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
Ed,

What kind of weed is that growing in the pot?   ;D

Ha!
It's a hot pepper plant I kept alive from last summer. I forget what kind it is. I know it puts out purple peppers that are almost as hot as habaneros.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
Kingman, I concur. They have progressively sounded better as the beer bottles have stacked up.  :P