Author Topic: CL find  (Read 2791 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
CL find
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »
Just picked up a minty fresh Denon DRS-810 tray loading cassette deck, with original manual, sales brochure and crisp box. Dolby B, C and HX Pro.  Three motor, dual capstan with front panel adjustable bias. 

Denon went to tray style loading as cassette decks began to fall out of favor.  The loading tray looked like a CD player.

I need this like a hole in the head, but it was too pretty to pass up.  Everything works; all I did was clean the dust.

I have not had much luck finding nice gear lately; this restores my faith in the value of hunting.  Keep searching.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: CL find
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
That looks NICE!!!! Post a pic with the tray open, never saw that feature in a cassette deck.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
More Pics, as requested
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
When OBG see this he is going to be spurtin' wood! >:D
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
That deck is the shits! How does it sound???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
Sound is first rate.  I haven't decided if it betters my Yamaha K-1020.  The Yammy has a few more features, but I'm not sure it matters, since most of my listening is with dolby B (pre-recorded and home made).  I'll do some more listening and share my thoughts.

I also have a B & O tray loading deck.  It is a sexy looking machine and does sound good, but both the Denon and Yammy outperform it.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »
 :P

I am sporting serious wood.

I fully understand your decision to buy.  The box looks pristine - that is always a good sign.  I have owned two "horizontal tray loading" decks like this one and they won me over just for being different - none of mine had three heads though.  This one looks to be a closer-to-top-of-line deck in the Denon line up at the time. I own the Denon DRM-800 and it is one of my two "official" decks. 

Did you get the remote control with it?  Are you willing to confess how much you paid for it (makes no difference as to how much you may ask for it later!)?

Good find,

Pepe

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Pepe-There was never a dedicated remote for this deck, rather Denon made a system remote that operates it as well as other Denon components of the era.  There is one on ebay as I write this for under $20.  I am going to pass on it since it is not specific to this model.  I understand a number of universal remotes should operate it.

I believe this model was the TOTL at the time; if not, it's close.  I bought it from the original owner who had it in a very substantially built custom equipment rack.  While not to my taste, it is a beautiful piece of furniture.  I don't think the Denon ever left it's spot on the shelf.

I was lucky to purchase this unit for considerably less than ebay prices, but a bit more than what I typically see in  garage sale/thrift shops.