Author Topic: Recording digital sources using a Sunfire TGP1  (Read 2558 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Recording digital sources using a Sunfire TGP1
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
I listen to a lot of Spotify (premium subscriber - worth (to me) the $5/month by far).  If I want to record to cassette tape some of what I am listening to (forget for a moment the lack of logic in doing that,  since I can replay any song any time I want to - this question is not meant to be logical), using the regular analog outs would not work because I am getting the signal  as an optical input from the Mac Mini.  My thinking is that I can use the power-amp-meant RCA outs of the pre to record (tape in),  since I am using the XLRs instead to drive the amp.

Is this ging to affect the quality of the sound coming off the XLR outs in any way?
Does the pre turn off the RCAs if the XLRs are in use?  How would it know (I guess it sees a load?)? 
Is there a better way to do this?  (using the Sunfire with its limited 1990s abilities)

I could test this but I do not have the cassette deck in yet,  so must bother you with the question.

Thoughts?

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Recording digital sources using a Sunfire TGP1
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure if the XLR's are in use, the rca's are muted.  I'd plug the mac into the sunfire using the optical out, the DAC in the Sunfire is much better anyways.  Then use the tape out on your Sunfire into your input on the cassette player.  Then connect the output on your cassette player to the tape input on the Sunfire.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
That is how I have the Mac connected, using an optical Toslink cable.  I thought the Sunfire would not pass the digital signal to the tape outs (I thought I tested this before) but maybe I did something wrong.   Will try again. Thanks!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
This might be obvious to everyone, but as a quick test I think you could just use a patch cable and connect tape in/out together.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:33:27 PM by Trabs Male Tres »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »
Does the manual mention anything about the tape input/outputs in conjunction with the digital inputs?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
Rev - as a matter of principle,  engineers never read manuals,  we only print them as extra accessories on our sales on ebay.  I will make the exception just this one time and read it to see what Bob's minion wrote.  Std by one.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
Not my fault your machismo won't allow you to stop and ask for directions.  :P