Author Topic: Looking for a GOOD starter turntable for a friend in Pittsburgh  (Read 2550 times)

Offline savoirfaire

• FNG !!!
Looking for a GOOD starter turntable for a friend in Pittsburgh
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Greetings from Boston, fellas!

I have a friend in Pittsburgh who has taken an interest in vintage stereo gear (whether it's my influence, I don't know, but she's always seemed to appreciate the photos of my vintage receivers!).  She asked me to help her find a good receiver and turntable of a 70s vintage, but while there have been a few good options for receivers on CL in Pittsburgh, the turntable selection is pretty sparse.  I would happily send her some gear from Boston, but I am thinking the heft of vintage equipment would make that impractical.  Plus, UPS absolutely trashed some ornaments that my wife's uncle sent to us as a Christmas gift, so my faith in them is a bit low at the moment.

Anyone have a Dual/Garrard/Pioneer/AR with a nice wooden plinth that doesn't need a lot of work?  If someone has a good mid-range receiver (maybe a Sansui/Kenwood/Sherwood/Pioneer/Marantz) with a wood cabinet as a package deal, that would be even better!  I'm think of maybe a $150 to $200 combo.

Thanks, all!

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Looking for a GOOD starter turntable for a friend in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Have her contact Tom at Vintage Hifi Pgh.  He has a great store with many receivers/turntables and can recommend a setup as you describe.

Offline savoirfaire

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
Yeah, I will give him a call tomorrow. I didn't see any turntables listed in his inventory on the website but I'm sure it's hard to keep it totally up to date. Thanks for the suggestion! But I'd anyone has gear they're interested in passing on to a new hobbyist, let me know also!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
There are multiple items to choose from here. :o
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Dr. Whett N. Wylde

• FNG !!!
  • I = C dv/dt
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Yep.... have a Pioneer PL12 turntable (with a cart, I'm pretty certain, but as the unit is safely packed away in storage (original box and styrofoam "enclosure") I can't be sure.  No pun intended, but there might it might be a Shure cart.  If it is, it is NOT my V-15 Type V-MR, of that I can be certain.

This is a two-speed belt-drive table with a clear acrylic top.  This is a totally manual table; you move the arm above the lead in area and hit the "lower" switch which lowers the arm. At the end of the disk, you move the lever to the up position and return the arm to its resting position.

Because of the way the table is suspended, it is pretty immune to vibration. 

I was going to sell this on craigslist last year, so I might have a recent photo.

Let me know if you're interested.