Author Topic: Why do people around here think Bose speakers are so good?  (Read 23940 times)

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
Re: Why do people around here think Bose speakers are so good?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:13 AM »
<snip> but just to out of hand dismiss Bose because it is the geeky thing to do makes no sense.

Give me a single, honest reason BoSe does not publish specs..... for anything.....    :laugh:  Must be the geek in me.

That said, buying BoSe stuff at 5% of MSRP is good, because that's what it is actually worth. 

I try to buy stuff on the cheap, also.  I just picked up a Dorrough 1200B stereo signal test set for $128; about 10% of MSRP.     ;D

Bill Cain

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
It is best to buy with "ears" not specs, but many of us must rely on things like specs, reviews and opinion.

Bose don't publish specs because they don't want to compete in that market.  They have product in show rooms across the USA in reach of everyone.

I never said Bose was the best choice, or the best for the money.  I just say they make speakers that sound good.

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
It is best to buy with "ears" not specs, but many of us must rely on things like specs, reviews and opinion.

Bose don't publish specs because they don't want to compete in that market.  They have product in show rooms across the USA in reach of everyone.

On Tuesday, I had just set up the equipment for our Vinyl Collector's meeting.  Steven Jance was cranking up a 78 and Fred Bohn mentioned to me that it sounded "digital."  Hmmmmm.  WTF did he mean?  Yes, it sounded a little harsh, maybe some odd-order harmonics?  The dbx DriveRack was clipping a little.  Whoops.  So I reduced the mixer output and turned up the MacroTech 3600.  Problem solved.  The guys know to watch out for the clip lights on the mixer & outboard EQ, I just screwed up with the amp gain.

So, yes, the ears are the final arbiter......

However, to dismiss specs is to jump down BoSe's rabbit hole of ignorance.

BoSe markets to those who don't know any better.... they prey on ignorance and that's why audiophiles hate BoSe.....

Any company, which sells a product that preys on the ignorance of people, is a bad company.....

Bill Cain

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »
A market study published in March 2006 by the independent market research firm Forrester Research reported that Bose's brand name was among the three computer and electronics brands most trusted by US consumers.[59]...
Bose has contracts with the U.S. military (Navy,[10] Air Force[11] and Army[12]) and NASA.[13

Any company, which sells a product that preys on the ignorance of people, is a bad company.....

...It appears some as I tend to differ with your opinion. Such as the Army, Navy, Air Force and NASA!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »
We've said all along that it is a price vs performance issue.   I would think and hope that The Army pays significantly less for a Wave Radio than we do (unless Bose bought off the Chair of the Armed Services Committee).

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
It appears some as I tend to differ with your opinion. Such as the Army, Navy, Air Force and NASA!

You make no mention of WHAT was sold.   ;D  Or if it even WAS sold.  Or given away.

Previously, someone derided Dahlquist DQ10's because they destroyed them.
Such clowns morons wonderful people deserve nothing better than BoSe.

After all, BoSe is good enough for those that can't tell the difference.

Bill Cain
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:03:12 AM by Bill Cain »

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »
...I guess I am the "MORON" you are refering to...let's clear that up...1) I never said I destroyed them, I simply blew the fuse by overpowering them. Hence the phrase "blew them up". 2) I never put down Dahlguist speakers...on the flip I think they were great speakers. 3) I doubt you would call me a moron to my face...I don't take personal attacks too well...and if you want to continue down that road I'll be happy to oblige you  4) your opinion is just that...a forum is a place to discuss issues, not to name call. 5) As F1 would say..."buy a vowel".

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »

After all, BoSe is good enough for those that can't tell the difference.

...I guess I am the "MORON" you are refering to...let's clear that up...1) I never said I destroyed them, I simply blew the fuse by overpowering them. Hence the phrase "blew them up". 2) I never put down Dahlguist speakers...on the flip I think they were great speakers. 3) I doubt you would call me a moron to my face...I don't take personal attacks too well...and if you want to continue down that road I'll be happy to oblige you  4) your opinion is just that...a forum is a place to discuss issues, not to name call. 5) As F1 would say..."buy a vowel".

Gollee, glad you cleared that up....  Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Anyone who "blew up" a pair of Dahlquists (or ANY speaker) and then used that act of rank stupidity as justification for the "superiority" of BoSe junk, is a f**king moron, IMNSHO.

However, since you have subsequently "revised" your narrative from "blew them up" to "blew a fuse," I must now admit that "moron" or "clown" may not fully describe you.  I applaud your wisdom in using the correct fuses; it's always good when such technically astute actions are taken.   ;D

Bill Cain

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
A trash talking idiot of your caliber has no feelings and deserves no respect from me or anyone on this forum. You also are a FN prick.  ;) Wake up and smell what they call reality.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
Heard a pair of 151s today hooked up to a crappy receiver and they did not suck. Didn't blow me away either, but I wasn't on the verge of vomit...
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
A trash talking idiot of your caliber has no feelings and deserves no respect from me or anyone on this forum. You also are a FN prick.  ;) Wake up and smell what they call reality.

No point king. People with that level of self indulgence and self righteousness just need to be ignored. There's no level of bat heading that will bring them down to earth. Lost cause.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 12:59:22 AM »

Hey, "kingman," here's my address and phone number:

400 Fort Couch Road
Upper St Clair, PA  15241
412-835-4454

I'll be at Vintage H-Fi on Monday evening. 
Tell me all about your problems. 
I'll see what I can do to fix them.

Bill Cain

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »
Bill;

Why so hostile?   Lay down and put a cool compress on your forehead.   It will be alright.

- Mark

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 01:34:08 AM »
Bill;

Why so hostile?   Lay down and put a cool compress on your forehead.   It will be alright.

- Mark

LOL   ;D   Not hostile at all.  Just trying to open lines of communications. 
"kingman" seems to have problems and maybe I can fix them.   :laugh:
He went from blowing up speakers to blowing a fuse to calling me a trash talker.
I want to help the good man, in any way I can, resolve his problems.
That's why we're on this Earth; to help each other.

Bill Cain

bmwr75

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
Bill, you probably are a nice guy........but you come sometimes across abrasive on this forum.  You and F1Nut must be cut from the same cloth.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:39:02 AM by bmwr75 »