Author Topic: Neil Young and Hi Rez audio  (Read 3678 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Neil Young and Hi Rez audio
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
All Forum members should read this article about Neil Young's quest for audio nirvana.

http://techland.time.com/2012/10/03/who-cares-about-neil-youngs-ultra-high-quality-music-standard/

TIME
    Magazine
    Photos
    Videos
    Lists
    Life.com
    Style
    Topics
    Subscribe

Follow TIME

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google +
    Tumblr

NewsFeed
    U.S.
    Politics
    World
    Business
    Money
    Tech
    Health
    Science
    Entertainment
    Opinion

TIME TIME.com - Techland

Home
    Gadgets
    Apps & Web
    News
    Reviews & Features
    Companies
    Form + Function

Click here to find out more!
Innovation
Who Cares About Neil Young’s Ultra-High Quality Music Standard?
By Matt Peckham | @mattpeckham | October 3, 2012 | 3
inShare1

Sharing TIME stories with friends is easier than ever. Add TIME to your Timeline.
Learn More
Global Citizen Festival In Central Park To End Extreme Poverty - Show
Theo Wargo / Getty Images for the Global Citizen Festival
Frank "Poncho" Sampedro, Billy Talbot and Neil Young of Neil Young and Crazy Hourse perform onstage at the Global Citizen Festival In Central Park To End Extreme Poverty - Show at Central Park on September 29, 2012 in New York City.

Neil Young claims he’s going to change the way we listen to digital music by pairing a new iPod-competitive Pono music player (I see “Ponyo” — how about you?) with an audiophile-caliber music download service. The claims are predictably long on sound bites and short on particulars.

What we know so far is this: It’ll offer 192 kHz, 24-bit recordings with “digital-to-analogue conversion technology intended to present songs as they first sound during studio recording sessions.”

(MORE: Pono: Can High-Quality Audio Sell Neil Young’s Portable Music Player?)

192 kHz and 24-bit? That’s way better than 44.1 kHz and 16-bit (basic CD quality), no? Will it be uncompressed as well? Will lossless audiophiles finally have a mainstream, rich-library alternative to sites with limited catalogs like Rhino and Bleep and HD Tracks?

Back in July 2011, I lamented Amazon’s decision to limit its “unlimited” cloud music storage service to compressed audio file formats. FLAC files? Apple lossless audio? No-can-play. Thus “unlimited” only for members of the lossy audio club, i.e. those listening to lower quality versions of songs either ripped from personal music libraries or purchased online. Those of us who’ve fastidiously replicated our compact disc or vinyl music collections in digital form were out of luck.

I disliked but understood Amazon’s decision. Lossy audio occupies dramatically less space than lossless, and portable audio players hold only so many songs. The size of the average iTunes music library is around 3,000 tracks (according to TuneUp Media back in June 2011, anyway). If we say the average five minute MP3 is 5 MB, that’s roughly 15 GB of storage per person, which adds up fast. Amazon’s cloud-based pockets aren’t bottomless, and space on portable players can be dear — who wants to fuss over what to carry or leave behind?

What’s more, most people listening on the go — through earbuds, smartphone speakers, in automobiles, on planes or trains, out for a run on a windy day or in areas with traffic — are hearing music in environments decidedly non-conducive to, shall we say, the connoisseur’s ideal aesthetic. Who cares about audio nuance if what you’re using to listen or the listening environment itself aren’t up to snuff in the first place?

Me, for starters, because even when I’m in one of those compromised situations, I like to know that were I in a great sound space, say at home listening through my high-end monitors (speakers) or a pair of studio-quality headphones, I’d be able to appreciate all the nuance baked in by the musician(s) and whoever engineered the recording. I like the idea of holding in my possession the best version of a song that’s available. If I’m in a pinch, I can compress it any way I like, but if I need to go back to the source, at least there is one, as opposed to something bought through iTunes or Amazon, where you’re stuck with the compressed version, high fidelity playback gear or no.

Sympathy for my position is rare, or at least it has been anecdotally speaking. Most people — family, friends, strangers — claim not to be able to hear the difference, say, between an MP3 encoded at 256kbps and the lossless original. When I push back, I’m accused of being an audio snob. And to be fair, maybe I am (though never in the pretentious sense — I hold nothing against people who don’t care about this as much as I do, nor do I think my audio preferences are “superior” to theirs).

(MORE: Musical DNA: WhoSampled iPhone App Scours Tracks for Borrowed Riffs)

The differences between compressed and uncompressed music can be subtle depending on the compression levels. Working against my desire not to notice: a trained musical ear. I spent years in college-level music programs honing my ear to associate what most people identify as the lyrics to a catchy Rodgers and Hammerstein tune — “do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do” — with actual frequencies in the Western music system. When I hear a piece of music, I can tell just by listening what the chord relationships are, say what the chorus from Peter Gabriel’s “Come Talk to Me” has in common with the first two notes of the main title from Star Wars.

But that’s just pitch recognition — a jumping off point. I’ve also spent a lot of time over the years fiddling with audio formats and reproduction equipment, as well as stuff like ABXTester, a double-blind A/B comparison utility that checks your ability to tell the difference between two music samples. It’s great for testing whether you can discern different compression levels. I’ve found that I can reliably tell the difference at or below 256Kbps (the going compression rate on iTunes and Amazon), and that I only start to mix things up at or above 320Kbps (the rate a subscription service like Spotify laudably offers if you enable “high-quality” streaming). I don’t claim to have a “golden ear,” but I do have a discerning one.

Before I blame ear training and throw in the towel, I want to toss this on the fire: How many of you have built up a library of compressed digital tunes, where they’re your only copy of a song or album? You’ve probably spent a bunch of time and money doing so, right? If someone came along claiming your music collection was inferior and that you could have something of far superior quality, but that it’d cost you to get it, you’d probably balk. Is that influencing your opinion? What you’re telling yourself you hear or don’t hear? I think it’s a worthwhile question.

Then again, you can have too much of a good thing, and who’s to say that’s 192 kHz, 24-bit audio? I mean, you look at video advances and VHS to DVD, sure. But DVD to Blu-ray? Blu-ray to whatever’s next, e.g. “Retina” TVs? When is good enough really good enough? When does it become a truly niche, enthusiast-only thing?

Which bring us back to Neil Young’s music service claims: “digital-to-analogue conversion technology intended to present songs as they first sound during studio recording sessions.” Will anyone care (aside from the core audiophile group)? Does anyone really want to reboot their music libraries for what for most may seem less of a distinction, say, than the leap from VHS to DVD? After all, we’re not talking about a service (or a player) that’s going to solve two of the biggest obstacles to appreciating higher quality audio on the go: portable storage space that’s affordable and audio reproduction gear (to say nothing of ambient acoustics).

Besides, isn’t the real debate these days turning to one-off purchases versus subscription services?

How many of you are flirting with the idea of abandoning digital downloads for a streaming service like Spotify, where you can play back music, from a startlingly complete catalog, at near-CD-quality levels already? Where — artists and publishers and streaming providers willing — you could eventually just stream 192 kHz, 24-bit audio files for a flat rate in lieu of buying them?

Speaking as an audiophile, I wish Neil Young the best in all of this, and I’ll be first in line to try it. But unless he has some crazy sonic trick up his sleeve — some thing we’ve overlooked or failed to anticipate — he’s facing a tough sell, at least on the merits of the service’s superior audio quality.

MORE: Can You Hear the Difference Between Lossless and Lossy Audio?
Related Topics: music, neil young, Pono, Alt Tech, Gadgets, Gadgets, Home Entertainment, Innovation, News, Opinion, Portables, Reviews & Features
emailprint

Sponsored Links

GIK Acoustic Panel
    Ensure proper acoustics for your recording studio or home theater.
    www.gikacoustics.com

Download Audio Converter
    Compress MP3 WMA WAV AAC M4A AMR Convert All Audio Files Fast!
    www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Converter

Swim at Home
    Compact Home Exercise/Therapy Pools Perfect for Swimming, Coaching, Fun
    www.EndlessPools.com
    We recommend
    SCRIPT: Romney for President Ad, “Be Not Afraid”
    SCRIPT: Romney for President Ad, “Be Not Afraid”
    Is Eating Eggs Really as Bad for Your Heart as Smoking?
    Is Eating Eggs Really as Bad for Your Heart as Smoking?
    I Chose the iPhone, You Chose an Android Phone — So What?
    I Chose the iPhone, You Chose an Android Phone — So What?
    Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Review: The Screen Makes It the Best E-Reader Yet
    From around the web
    Cliqk Engages C. Wonder Customers with Touch Panels (Commercial Integrator)
    Billionaires Dumping Stocks, Economist Knows Why (Moneynews)
    If You Have Gmail... You Must Have This (Charles Hudson's Weblog)
    13 Ugliest Phones of the Mobile Era (TheStreet)
    recommended by Outbrain [?]
    Latest on Techland
    Netbot
    Apps & Software October 3, 2012
    Netbot: Good News for App.net’s Anti-Twitter Insurrection

The for-pay Twitter-style social network gets an excellent iOS client from the creators of Tweetbot.
    From our Partners
    Taking Cue From Twitter, LinkedIn Adds 'Follow' FeatureHuffington Post
        Why Is Apple Forcing Us All To Put Our Phones In Our Pockets Upside-Down?Slate
    Facebook
    Facebook October 3, 2012
    Facebook Rolls Out Promoted Posts: Update Your Status like You Mean It

You’re important, no? Then why are your Facebook friends not giving your status updates the attention they deserve? Starting today, Facebook is rolling out promoted posts to users in the U.S.

previous
T-Mobile in Talks to Buy MetroPCS
next
NYPD Is Watching Facebook to Fight Gang Bloodshed

Disqus

Real-time updating is paused. (Resume)
Showing 3 comments

Brooks Parsons Jr

I care - and I can tell.  There are a few things that aggravate me about digital music.  The first is the assumption that equalization is best done at the factory, and that pre-sets with inspiring names like "rock", "jazz", and "urban" will make me go "yeah, now THAT'S how rock music should sound", because, hey, we all hear things exactly the same as one another, right!  When you hook up your Iphone or Ipod to a larger system with EQ, you have to undo the I-devices EQ, and no matter what you do, you will never experience what the musicians intended for you to hear.

The second thing that peeves me is way things are now mixed for earbuds.  Earbuds are about the absolute worst way you can listen to music.  It's awful
        1 hour ago
    Omar Zia

It's OK. Sound preservation needs to be done. The files will be made available. Over the years, storage will become cheeper, players will get smaller and come down in price.  Even if no one buys the players or downloads songs now, Neil is till a hero for rescuing the art form and getting the tracks archived in the highest possible format available. He's giving people an option. Whether people buy into it next year doesn't really matter. Once the service is put together, his work is done. The future will take care of itself.
        6 hours ago
    Yoshi_1

Too bad this wasn't happening thirty years ago. It won't go anywhere, now.
        7 hours ago

Full ListMost Popular
        Techland
        TIME.COM
        50 Best iPhone Apps 2012
        50 Best Websites 2012
        FreedomPop’s Free Mobile Data Plans: What You Need to Know
        The 12 Best Android Widgets for 2012
        Paul Allen Reviews Windows 8
        Top 25 iPad Apps for Kids
        How to Unlock an AT&T iPhone in 5 Easy Steps (If You're Lucky)
        Sony’s Super-Slim PlayStation 3: One Step Forward, One Step Back
        Who Cares About Neil Young’s Ultra-High Quality Music Standard?
    More on TIME.com
    Snapshots of the Heavens - Amazing Astronomy Photos
    Snapshots of the Heavens - Amazing Astronomy Photos
    The 10 Best and Worst Sports-Team Relocations in History
    The 10 Best and Worst Sports-Team Relocations in History
    Aung San Suu Kyi's World: Portraits of Burmese Dissidents and Activists
    Aung San Suu Kyi's World: Portraits of Burmese Dissidents and Activists
    Techland VideosMore Videos
    Search For Jobs
    jobs by Indeed job search
    Flatbed/Van/Specialized Owner Operator
    Universal Am-Can, Ltd - Pittsburgh, PA
    Journeyman Boilermaker
    Down to the Smallest Detail... - Pittsburgh, PA
    COURTROOM ASSISTANT - Training Available
    CourtCareers.com - United States
    What
    Where
    Editor’s Picks
        Don Bishop / Getty Images
        Apps & Software
        50 Best iPhone Apps 2012
        By Techland Staff
        50bestwebsites
        Lists
        50 Best Websites 2012
        By TIME Staff
        apps
        Apps & Software
        Top 25 iPad Apps for Kids
        By Catherine Sharick

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/10/03/who-cares-about-neil-youngs-ultra-high-quality-music-standard/#ixzz28HLm2ppf

Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
Re: Neil Young and Hi Rez audio
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:07 AM »
What's all that shit at the bottom of the article?  Job postings, advertisements, hookers for rent?  Edit that shit out of the posting
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:46:02 AM »
Carl,

I tried to cut the BS, but it was all or nothing when I went to cut it.  Probably my lack of tech skills
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
LOL!

I thought you were spamming LOL! :P
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
Don't know how to do that either

Anders

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
I remember an article years ago where Neil Young talks about how he hates digital.

Offline ajaye

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
Check out the article I linked. This was a VERY informative read from the guy that Neil Young's "people" apparently consulted with about if they should push 24/192 and how. Basically he is against it from a fidelity standpoint and explains why pretty convincingly and dispels some common misconceptions while at it. Also a few test tones for those of you with 24/96 capability to check for IMD of ultrasonics due to non-linearity (which my 24/96 capable receiver displayed dammit). If you aren't really familiar with this stuff I suggest skipping the test tones as you can potentially damage your equipment.

I can't imagine many new popular music recordings being worth the added space of 24/192 anyway. Apparently the producers of today spent some time doing masonry too because all I'm seeing is brick walled waveforms tailored to the white ear bud wearing majority. I could go on, but I'm supposed to go shake my fist at some kids on my grass from my front porch and then change the tennis balls on my walker.  :laugh:

Here's a quote from the opening of the piece and the link to the full article is below.

Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48, and it takes up 6 times the space.

There are a few real problems with the audio quality and 'experience' of digitally distributed music today. 24/192 solves none of them. While everyone fixates on 24/192 as a magic bullet, we're not going to see any actual improvement.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
For now...
Yamaha HTR 5250 (24/96 DAC)
Technics 1200 M3D w/ various Shure DJ carts
Philips 212 w/ Pickering XSV 3000
Ecler Nuo4 mixer/phono stage (RCA outs set to 1V)
Polk LS50
JBL4311B
Cog media player/Macbook Pro PCM via miniTosLink

possible trade: 1200MK2(s) for SS amp(s) (no integrated pls)