Author Topic: Why do we love VHFP?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Why do we love VHFP?
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
For me it's mostly having a place locally for audio geeks to get together and discuss audio, listen to tunes, and just drink and have fun. That was really important for me when I found the place. Shortly before I had moved from home in Erie and left all of my friends and family behind to start new in the burgh. Having a new group to join meant alot.

Then there's the gear side of it. Tom hooked me up with my first power amp and helped me to get much better educated on what was good, junk, or just so-so, and what I should pay for the gear I have. I've bought, traded, and sold several pieces to or from the shop. I've had the opportunity to demo all kinds of cool gear too.

Repairs... There is nothing I can say about Anders that hasn't already been said. My first  :o moment came when I dropped off a Carver amp with an issue that was very hard to detect. Within 8 hours it was fixed and ready to be picked up. He doesn't give up either. I had to have filter caps replaced 3 times on my Onkyo amp because they kept popping. Turn around is great too. The worst has been my Dad's turntable which was at the shop for about a month, but the thing was a real bear, and my dad lives in Erie anyway.

The best thing about the shop compared to others is the fact that it really seems like Tom and Anders love their jobs and they treat customers with 100% respect.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Bunni

Re: Why do we love VHFP?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:44:31 AM »
The thing I love most about VHFP:  My husband's talents are respected and appreciated.  I'm happy when he's happy.

I think Tom has created an enviable business, with regard to honesty and respect for his customers, great prices and lots of education.  You won't find snooty, stuck-up attitudes here; just down to Earth real people enjoying what they do.

I think too we must remember we can't please everyone, but Tom and Anders give it a good try.  They both care as much about how something sounds as their customers do.  For Anders, this has been what he's done all his life.  To be able to do it in as comfortable an environment as Tom has created is very fortunate.

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
T & A can be trusted to treat your gear right!!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
 :laugh:The double entendre of the day:

T & A can be trusted to treat your gear right!!

Yeah, what well adjusted male doesn't love T & A  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:45:21 PM by Rest lame brats »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »
Completely unintended..........but I chuckled when I read it again.   :laugh:

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
I love the forum.   It is the Facebook of audio geeks.  Like a local audiokarma. 

I like taking an old Sony cassette deck to the shop and watching Tom replace the belts in 15 minutes. 

Or having Anders troubleshoot the KLH radio and in a few minutes replace a cap and have it working again - it is magic. 

I like the diversity of the people that frequent the store - we come from all parts but are the same when w are there.  I like just going there and listening to songs with whatever speakers happen to be hooked up that week.

And  I like having theological debates with Susan - never boring.

Sweet VHFP makes PIT better.

OBG

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
cuz Tom always smells like bacon.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Bunni

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
cuz Tom always smells like bacon.

Oh that's what it is!  ;D

Offline Steve_Rynn

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
In short, because I had no idea idea what I was doing, got some quality gear at a very good price and got to meet some great people

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »
  The greatest thing about VHFP is

Tom
Without him it is just another Hi Fi shop.   Think about it,   We just had a discussion  on here the other day about Butch's.   He is a snob...  What if Tom was a snobby asshole?  Would we all want to hang out with him?

So what I love about VHFP is the fact that Tom owns it!!   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:52:42 AM by Falcon »

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Why do we love VHFP?
Let me count the ways...   ;)
1. Tom and Anders work there...
2. There is great audio stuff there...
3. There are great audio people there...
4. There is a welcome atmosphere there...
5. On Saturdays, there is good food and drink there...
6. You can post almost anything on the forum there...
7. You can sell stuff there...
8. You can buy great stuff there...
9. You can get quality repairs there...
10. YOU guys can fill in the rest of the stuff from THERE!!!   ;D

All, have a great weekend...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...