Author Topic: Magnapan Model MG1 available locally  (Read 2030 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Magnapan Model MG1 available locally
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I don't know much about them but the guy says they work and he wants $150 for them. What do you think?

I didn't see any stands for them. I don't think he'll take $100 for them since he wanted $80 for a pair of ragged out tangents six months ago.

Would they be a fun toy to play with or should I pass on these?

Thanks

Tinpan
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Magnapan Model MG1 available locally
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
More than likely they have problems, delamentation is more than likely.  You can tell this by buzzing.  It's also possible that a wire has broke and you could be missing a section (high/low/mid).  See if you can talk him down to $100.  Should be fun to play with but realize they will need 250wpc + to get a nice sound.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
I'm not sure if you really need a ton of power for those (rgpit has a pair of newer ones on a 60? wpc Prima Luna and they sound pretty good to me). They are definitely more than likely in need of repair of some kind. Maggie repair is something a novice with time and patience can tackle.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
They sound good when in operating order, but not as good as the newer ones.  What worries me about a pair this old is that the mylar is probably ripped at one of the points of connection to the frame,  and that is pain to fix (mylar patches can work but it is a bit of an art to apply them).  The easier fix is regluing the wires to the mylar,  which at this age these speakers will almost need for sure.  It takes a lot of patience cleaning the old glue off the wires with acetone and then regluing with as little contact cement as you manage, using washers to hold them down in place while they set.  If you do all that they may be worth $250 to a Maggiephile.  Not sure it is worth the pain.

Maggies would sound ok with any amp,  but they do seem to open up the more power you throw at them,  until the mylar rips, of course!  200 watts seem to be a sweet spot for the ones I have owned.

Anders

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:21:14 AM »
I have repaired these before and it is a bit of work to replace the voice coil wire.
They do sound good when working but you can do better.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. That's the same advice I read on some 10 year old threads Think I will pass on that one.
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran