Author Topic: Hello VHF forum  (Read 6922 times)

Anders

Re: Hello VHF forum
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
Tasso delivered my Acoustat X's years ago and when he saw my room with all the electronics in it he hired me on the spot.

It was fun working for Opus One while it lasted.

Tasso now has a pain clinic but he still dabbles in audio but just a bit here and there.
I do have his phone number.

Anders

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »
Last I remember...  He started a "pain relief clinic" on the South Side of Pittsburgh...  Guessing that was in the mid 90's or so...

Did a quick google search and a few blurbs about him and "pain relief" during 2011, so I guess that is what he is still doing...

HTH,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
I talked with Tasso  few months ago.  He runs an add in the paper occasionally listing used, vintage equipment.  His clinic is on Carson St and I think that's where he keeps his vintage gear, but the hours are limited.  Did Tasso also have a store in East Liberty in the late 1970s/early 80s?  If it wasn't his, that place was another amazing audio experience.  I first heard both real digital and surround sound there and remember it like the article described Tassos and his store Downtown.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline makatak

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Mac, "that" place in E Sliberty was Ovation Audio, where I worked for a spell back in the late 70's. The listening room was uncoupled from the building structure. My job was set up and tuning systems, and repairing the stream of blown up Mark Levinson amps that arrived weekly.

I don't remember the owners names.

Anders

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 01:36:30 AM »
At one of the last audio jobs I had i got to know people and they still look for me to repair and upgrade their stuff as very few people are left doing it today.

Anders

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
Ovation-that was the place.  I moved to the Burgh in late 1979 and would have been there in 1980.  Whatever I was listening too back then sounded (at least in my memory) as good as anything today.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline dbpe

• FNG !!!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »
I was just doing a web search for Ovation and came across this thread.  It's been a while, but those were fun times.  The owner of Ovation was Dave Felzer if memory serves - I worked there for a few months in the late 70's.  The store supported his love of expensive audio.  I remember spending hours selecting just the right capacitance leads for the head shell and just the right angle of the cartridge so that the horns (in the audio source) would image correctly on the Watson Model 10's (the ones with bags of sulfur hexaflouride gas in the base cabinet so the ceramic flat plate woofers would be more linear).  And listening to a two mic recording playing through a Scheiber 360 Degree Spacial Decoder and hearing someone breathing and rustling papers behind me while I faced the front speakers - scared the crap out of me, but what a demonstration of extracting ambient info from stereo.  Damn I loved playing with that stuff as much as Dave did.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Welcome DBPE
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.