Author Topic: New guy checking in...  (Read 9234 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
Re: New guy checking in...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mark. 

Have a set with vinyl cabinets that if I screw up would not break my heart.  May try those in the future, but have a lot of projects waiting for my attention.  I really have to mirror and recap my DQ10's first.  I will let you know when I get around to starting.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
I have e-waved Large Advent's, JBL L100 woofers in 3 cu ft sealed enclosures, even my Altec 19's  :D

I tried the Selenium driver and recommended passive network, but have gotten excellent results with a Radian driver and active crossover/EQ.

Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
Nice, do you have a favorite?
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Wellllll......it's tough to beat what Altec already did with the 19, that's for sure.   :o

I never got the JBL setup dialed in to my satisfaction, despite it being a popular/recommended choice at AK.  :'(

The Advent combo sounds very, very nice.  The bass is quite deep, and moved away from boundaries, not too full.  I have since gone to a three way with those, using a Fountek ribbon above 10K.  That provides the advantages of the horns (huge soundstage, excellent clarity, and very dynamic), and also the benefit of the ribbons (extended top end that seems to float free from the speakers).   :P
Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Are you running the ribbon dipole?
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline desperado915

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
Wellllll......it's tough to beat what Altec already did with the 19, that's for sure.   :o

I never got the JBL setup dialed in to my satisfaction, despite it being a popular/recommended choice at AK.  :'(

The Advent combo sounds very, very nice.  The bass is quite deep, and moved away from boundaries, not too full.  I have since gone to a three way with those, using a Fountek ribbon above 10K.  That provides the advantages of the horns (huge soundstage, excellent clarity, and very dynamic), and also the benefit of the ribbons (extended top end that seems to float free from the speakers).   :P

How did you fit the ribbon tweeter in?  PICS, PICS, PICS!!!!! Also, I have read from others that the OLA Ewave bass response can be tweaked with less or more batting. I simply used the stock fiberglass batting with excellent results. Of course, YMMV.

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
Dale - No, it's got a sealed back.  It's this one:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=132&products_id=1556

Sorry, no pics of that arrangement and I've already disassembled it.  I have not made any of these projects "permanent".  I just stacked them up, since the horns (OK, "waveguides"   8) )and ribbons don't need an enclosure.  My crossover allows for phase adjustment and time alignment, so that can be accomodated.

Mine are New Large Advents and have foam blocks instead of fiberglass.  I tried some acousta-stuf, but the bass seemed too well damped.  I put too much in, I guess.  Probably just a bit more damping than stock would be good.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:22:54 PM by YSRACER »

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
That is a nice looking tweeter, and factory matched. TOO 8).
Dale

-Still Smoking!-