Audio Discussion > Tweaks

Sunfire True Sub - Help Fixing Auto On

<< < (3/5) > >>

OldiesButGoodies:
Actually,  after auditioning this sub in PR I would buy this before the Fathom (in terms of value it is a better deal):

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

And a tip for slowing down walking sunfire subs:  plop a stack of granite samples on top with blue tack in between layers,  make him do heavy squats if he wants to walk.

I am pondering separating the plate amp from the box and putting it in an external chassis,  away from the jumping bean.  Would need to have a blank plate machined in 1/8 stainless steel,  would probably be expensive and only make a minimal difference,  but it does sound like a fun project. 

I am waiting for Anders et al to share their take on how to tame auto on.  I am thinking an infrared detector that senses when I am in the room and turns it on a set minimum time using a 555 circuit or better yet, until I tell it to revert to off.  That or Anders could tell me what magic condenser or resistor or rheostat or peaking coil controls the sensitivity.  That is what a brother would do.

;D

Reverend:

--- Quote from: OldiesButGoodies on September 27, 2012, 09:16:30 PM ---And a tip for slowing down walking sunfire subs:  plop a stack of granite samples on top with blue tack in between layers,  make him do heavy squats if he wants to walk.
--- End quote ---

F that.  Go to Dick's and pickup a pack of hockey pucks.  Problem solved.

Anders:
Maybe the flux capacitor isn't fluxing properly  :laugh:

MacGeek:
Why not by pass the auto on , hard wire the sub to always be on (or install an on/off switch) and plug it into a current sensing outlet.  Or, some pre-amps have switched rear panel outlets.

OldiesButGoodies:
Macgeek,  that is a brilliant suggestion. 

But I did find this piece of info in the interwebs:

--- Quote ---...the auto on-off time is set by a single resistor-capacitor combination. R40 and C18. These are 5.2 megohms and 22uF. You will find these at the bottom-left corner of the quad jfet opamp U2 (MC34004). The 22uF cap looks to be a higher quality that all the other electrolytics.
--- End quote ---

Time to open that baby up again!

:P :P :P :P :P

PS: On a related note,  I may drop by ater to pick up a 22uf cap.  Love ya!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version