Audio Discussion > Tweaks

Sunfire True Sub - Help Fixing Auto On

<< < (5/5)

bigdealz:

--- Quote from: OldiesButGoodies on September 23, 2012, 10:51:54 PM ---I am slowly removing imperfections from the Sunfire True Sub Mark IV sub.  The recent output cap replacements were a huge improvement - the hum appears to be gone and it sounds cleaner and tighter.  The next frontier is the auto-on circuit.  It takes a while for this cube to detect there is music playing and kick in.  I have to significantly pump up the volume in the pre or go fiddle with the potentiometer in the plate amp so it wakes up (the latter erases the level setpoint,  so it is a bit of  pain).   Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? 

Thanks,

OBG

--- End quote ---

Can you share the details about the hum fix.  I've been doing some research and think I may need to replace my caps.  My sub will frequently start humming at 60 hertz, when it hums I can turn down the sub volume all the way and get no noise and no sound.  I can lower the crossover setting and minimize the hum.  Unplugging the sub from outlet or rca will get rid of the hum and keep it away for a while after I plug it back in.  I've also recently found turning the lights on and off can also get rid of the hum.  I tested with a cheater plug and that didn't help, actually the sub has a bit of noise when not playing, so it was worse that using the grounded plug.  I don't believe this is a ground loop.

After getting the hum fixed I'm also interested in changing the auto power on to something with a remote trigger from my receiver.

I'd like to document the fix if this works so other can use it.  I also like the JL sub swap, I think I may try that in the future if I can fix the amp and if the sub ever needs replacement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version